Author Topic: Ever wondered who lived in your house before?  (Read 975 times)

GUTS

Ever wondered who lived in your house before?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 07:21:11 PM »
Remember back when you could take toy guns to school too?  Man I remember lugging around this huge M-16 looking squirt gun all over the neighborhood back when I was real young, it didn't even have the little red tip and it looked damn real (at least I remember it looking real, I was a lil tyke though so who knows how it really looked).  I feel bad for kids who didn't grow up in the 80s or before, it seems like it would suck balls to grow up now.

Keranu

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 02:28:08 PM »
The millenium can blow me.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 09:15:33 AM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Remember back when you could take toy guns to school too?  Man I remember lugging around this huge M-16 looking squirt gun all over the neighborhood back when I was real young, it didn't even have the little red tip and it looked damn real (at least I remember it looking real, I was a lil tyke though so who knows how it really looked).  I feel bad for kids who didn't grow up in the 80s or before, it seems like it would suck balls to grow up now.
I don't remember anyone at my schools bringing guns, but we certainly had fun playing with them in the neighborhood. I thought many of them looked very realistic (as you said, we were kids). I loved going to the surplus stores and getting all the old army belts, pouches, decorative pins, hand grenades (they bored out a hole in the bottom and removed the explosives, of course), etc.

When my parents gave me the hand grenade, I almost died. It was the koolest thing in the world, as far as I was concerned. It even included the tab and pin at the top (to detonate it)...

The funny thing is that my obsession with the military when I was a kid (I memorized weapon specs for cannons, guns and mortars!) eventually led me to read tons of war history (my dad would bring home a new book every few days, it seemed), which led me to develop a much more critical view of the military and weapons industry.

I don't know if kids today would be allowed to bring in a real hand-grenade for show-and-tell. Man, that was one of the best days :).
  |    | 

PC Gaijin

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 09:39:15 AM »
My dad had one of those hand grenades when I was kid. I was poking around the attic one day with a friend, and my friend found the grenade in a box. He pulled the pin, and I thought we were going to die. :lol: It had been bored out though as stevek666 described. When I was a kid there were weapons and ammo all over our house. My father was retired from the military and collected guns (besides, he grew up a country boy hunting his whole life, etc.). None of the guns were locked up, and I knew where they all were and could easily get my hands on them. My father always drilled gun safety into my head as far back as I can remember though, so I was never tempted to fool around with them.

esteban

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 06:57:43 PM »
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"
My father always drilled gun safety into my head as far back as I can remember though, so I was never tempted to fool around with them.
Yeah, that's the most important thing. If there's one thing that the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts did effectively, it was helping me and a bunch of my dumb-ass friends to be responsible around guns -- even BB guns. As far as the camping thing -- well let's just say that you shouldn't spray PAM (or was it WD-40?) near a fire :). And let's just say it is somewhat scary to share a tent with a dumb-ass who kept a bunch of candy bars in his sleeping bag ("for a late-night snack") when it should have been up in the trees with the rest of the food (bears).
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 06:46:05 AM »
Haha yeah gun safety was a huge thing for me too, my brother and I had it drilled into us at a young age when we got some weak ass Daisy BB guns.  The first time I ever shot a gun with someone else I was blown away by how retarded they were with the gun, all swinging it around and shit, I thought everybody was taught to always point it up unless you're shooting and NEVER even for a second point it at anything living.

Keranu

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 10:47:04 AM »
I stay far away from guns because I know I will do something crazy with one by pointing it near my face due to obsessive compulsion.  :roll:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).