Author Topic: s-video modded duo r, seemingly overbright image  (Read 195 times)

tiptopjames

s-video modded duo r, seemingly overbright image
« on: November 16, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »
first foray into s-video gaming here, and i'm noticing that the s-video output is much brighter than my composite output systems (and even it's own composite output). i have to adjust my televisions brightness/contrast when switching between consoles to get a nice image.

is this a normal thing? something to nag me into getting s-video on all my consoles?

thanks!

ProfessorProfessorson

Re: s-video modded duo r, seemingly overbright image
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 07:09:10 PM »
Don't know who did the mod work, or what values were present on the parts used, so cant really comment. You really need to supply a bit more info if you can.

tiptopjames

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 03:20:42 AM »
wish i could, but i bought this system pre modded. believe the member said keithcourage did the work, so i'm inclined to think it's functioning as intended. the image does look fantastic, it's just that i have to adjust TV settings back and forth between consoles. considering just going composite on it, but don't want to waste that sweet sweet svideo output

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »
I used a 220ohm resister which is what most people seem to be using. If you want it darker a higher value should be used. Maybe a 330ohm instead.

tiptopjames

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
thanks for the response! i don't necessarily need it darker, more wanted to make sure that it was functioning correctly. thinking more about it, since the s-video is on it's own encoder (i'm assuming), it does make sense that the brightness value could be different than the composite output.

back to gaming!

thesteve

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 08:57:41 PM »
its not on its own encoder, jus the brightness (luma) is separate from the color (chroma)

RexDart

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 02:19:17 AM »
Is the s-video overbright, or is the composite dim?  I just modded my TG16, and while the s-video is bright, it looks about as bright as the RF did... it's my composite that looks dim by comparison. 

Would anybody recommend using a transistor (or anything) to boost the composite video signal?