Author Topic: TurboCd vs. Turboduo  (Read 791 times)

storino03

Re: TurboCd vs. Turboduo
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »
Also the TG16/CD is in the shape of a "T"!

CPTRAVE

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »
I totally love my TurboGrafx 16 Cd unit, and with the help of some members here I was finally able to start playing my games.

Thanks guys.

jc78_2005

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »
Also the TG16/CD is in the shape of a "T"!
haha ya know it is pretty awesome looking, shaped like a T and all lol. i think i have decided to just stay with the Original setup, so far its worked great for me, audio and all, even with burnt games, no issues. that says alot. mine was manufactured in September 1989 and after some new gear grease, runs like a top. that say alot!

storino03

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2012, 05:59:24 PM »
I know my Turbo Grafx CD unit will have to be serviced in the next year or so (running great right now, but doesn't hurt to get a tune-up!)

jc78_2005

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
I know my Turbo Grafx CD unit will have to be serviced in the next year or so (running great right now, but doesn't hurt to get a tune-up!)
well yeah, just like a car, after a few thousand miles, she needs a lil care lol.

meka

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 07:43:39 PM »
The Duo R is the best looking console I've seen, and are more reliable.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »
I say take your time, do some research to save some money and buy both !!! Their are plenty of people here that will help you out if you take the time to ask around ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Frank_fjs

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2012, 06:16:26 PM »
I've got both. I use my Duo-R as my main gaming rig and the briefcase setup as a back-up.

I didn't intend on owning both, but when I first got the itch to delve into the unfamiliar world of the PC Engine I ended up grabbing a white PC Engine console as they look so darn sexy. At this stage I had little knowledge about PC Engine hardware, it's not an easy thing to work out when you're new to it all and I didn't even consider the CD side of things. Already owning a HuCard only console I really didn't see the point in investing in a Duo, I came across a cheap IFU-30 so I grabbed it. Took me a while to find a working CDROM2 unit at a realistic price but eventually found one and pounced.

Years later I couldn't fight the urge to obtain a Duo so I did. Mainly got it for the convenience factor and now use it as my full-time gaming rig. I'd never sell my interface unit though, just too hard to come across them in working condition.

esteban

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »
Ha. I have nothing to say because I said it three or four years ago.

UPDATE: I'm so anal, I had to add the word I omitted a month ago.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:04:11 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2012, 05:52:35 AM »
After a lot of problems with my black TurboDuo US over the past 6 years... I still say go with it. As soon as you get one, send it off for a complete cap replacement and laser adjustment. Costs like $30-$40. Mine is also region and S-video/AV jack modded. The region mod is the pricey part. Even so, it ran me up $100 in the long run. Totally worth it.

Only problem you may run into over the years after the cap replacement is replacing the lens after heavy disc or CDR use. HOP-M3 lens replacements aren't all too hard to get and costs $20. I bought two of them just in case. Considering how much black US TurboDuos sell for... spending a little money to insure it's function is the way to go.

thesteve

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2012, 05:59:54 AM »
prices have gone up some (you wont find a HOP-M3 for $20, but $25-$45)