Author Topic: Lion Heart (AMIGA) Master Piece **Spoilers!***  (Read 684 times)

retroborg

Lion Heart (AMIGA) Master Piece **Spoilers!***
« on: February 26, 2006, 06:42:40 AM »
Ah, Lion Heart!
The Memories!

I completed Lion Heart back in summer of 1994 (No cheating!) and what a graphic fest that was!
Incredible! It sure looked as if it used a lot more than the basic 64Half-Bright colours the OCS/ECS chipset was capable of.
The rainbow copper effects were amazing, especially the fire stage.

I still have some AMIGA Power / Format Mags with articles quoting that no other console adventure platform game of the time could match Lion Heart, especially in the graphics department.

The game had some of the most stunning looking Heroic Fantasy levels, which I had only read about in novels like Conan, Elrik, Lords of The Rings, Dungeons & Dragons, etc…
The Wastelands, the swamps, the spider infested caves, the forgotten city, the fiery caverns, the gravity defying citadel and especially the last Sorcerer Boss fight, were all some of the coolest and most memorable gaming moments.
The Sorcerer him self, reminded me of Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat, but in a more sinister & evil looking way. The fight it self was quite tough and took a few tries to overcome.

The ending was very epic & dramatic.
I love Valdyn’s expression when the king, approaches in the background to greet & congratulate him on defeating his enemy, but Valdyn is like "Yeah right, get lost! I lost my girl in the struggle, so who cares about you old man?!” leaving him surprised in the great hall!

Then he discovers the secret powers of the talisman and breaks the spell that had petrified his love.

A true masterpiece!

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 01:24:55 PM »
Im not going to give my opinion on the Amiga here,but this seems like a topic for General Console Chat.Pics of this game do make it look good however :wink:

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 03:54:54 PM »
That does look pretty cool, though you only posted one actual playing screen. Very excellent tiles, but rather dirty sprite. What's the game like exactly? Would love to try it out.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

retroborg

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 07:09:24 PM »
Oopss... I hadn't noticed about the "General Console Chat" I would have probably placed it there, but since this is a computer game thread i wouldn't know if t fits there.
feel free to place it there if needs be.

@Keranu
This is an excellent adventure/platform game.
It doesn't have that many RPG elements, but you do get 2 horizontal shooter levels as you get to ride a bipedal dino-lizard thing & a dragon that shoots fire at your enemies as you fly to the Sorcerer's flying Citadel.

Yes you should try it as it is emulated by WinUAE (Although 2-button support maybe a bit bugy. Maybe they fixed in the latest version.)

Never the less, in-game animation is excellent, superior to anything you've witnessed on other 16-bit consoles.
Parallaxing for example, where you would get 6-8 planes of parallaxing on PCE, SNES & Geny, in Lion Heart every single horizontal line would paralax (Even the foreground) bringing incredible depth into the plateau.
Overall Graphics / colours, music & gameplay are awesome.

Make sure you play the 4-disk [!] verified ADF disk images, as the other cracked- CD-32 rip version will not show the ending.

Do try it out.

Keranu

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 07:33:33 PM »
That sounds awesome! Will try downloading it sometime.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

retroborg

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 07:55:15 PM »
You do that son! ;)

It has a lot to teach you about animation in general. It would be of great service for your sprite animation project.

Valdyn's Sprite is very well animated (Except for his run); the water & lave transparencies, the parallax scrolling, enemies & Boss characters are excellent.

So don't be a lazy chap, leave the dip-dish / thick-crust, Chicago pizzas in peace, go download Lion Heart, setup WinUAE & you're set!
 :mrgreen:

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 06:02:34 PM »
Quote from: "retroborg"

So don't be a lazy chap, leave the dip-dish / thick-crust, Chicago pizzas in peace, go download Lion Heart, setup WinUAE & you're set!
 :mrgreen:

HAHAHAHAA! I sure will, dad!

pixeljunkie

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 06:57:11 AM »
What do I need to get started playing some of these old Amiga games? I want all the early-mid 90's stuf. Bitmap Bros, etc. Games like this one listed. Are the emulators that great? Do I need to get a full on computer?

I almost got a CD-32 a while back...but decided not to as I didn't wanna fool with the PAL/NTSC probs on games.

Just curious

rolins

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 08:39:20 AM »
Quote from: "pixeljunkie"
What do I need to get started playing some of these old Amiga games? I want all the early-mid 90's stuf. Bitmap Bros, etc. Games like this one listed. Are the emulators that great? Do I need to get a full on computer?

I almost got a CD-32 a while back...but decided not to as I didn't wanna fool with the PAL/NTSC probs on games.

Just curious

The best amiga emu is WinUAE. You'll need to find the kickstart roms in order to plays games though. My favorite is Maniac Mansion.

Kaminari

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 09:18:54 AM »
Lionheart (HOL database). Thalion really was the German Psygnosis :)

Dark Fact

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 11:57:05 AM »
That first screenshot reminded me of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe...except this game has He-Man as a lion! :D

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!