Author Topic: Is it just me or are there just a few of us posting anymore?  (Read 2511 times)

GUTS

Is it just me or are there just a few of us posting anymore?
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2006, 06:53:41 AM »
Is that why the ROM of the euro Mr Gimmick sounds like total shit in an emulator?  Have they not emulated the chip right yet?  Cause the jap version sounds about 1000 times better.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2006, 09:04:49 AM »
Yes and no. The reason why the ROM sounds like shit is it's a PAL ROM conflicting with a NTSC based emulator. However, one certain emulator (FCEUltra) has a feature that toggles between NTSC and PAL mode. But once you set it to PAL mode, the music's pitch will be a bit higher than in NTSC format which another reason why PAL NES sucks.

But other than that, yeah FME7 is emulated.

Dark Fact

« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2006, 09:34:24 AM »
Actually, Sunsoft games for the NES used very high quality sound chips.  What were the names of those? I only remember playing such games like BATMAN and JOURNEY TO SILIUS and the sound in those games were freaking awesome! 8)

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2006, 09:47:14 AM »
Could this be the Sunsoft sound you're referring to?
http://media.putfile.com/batmanrj
http://media.putfile.com/journe1

If so, many Sunsoft games had that, Batman: RotJ, Fester's Quest, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Super Spy Hunter/Battle Formula, Hebereke/Uforia, Journey to Silius, I know there's more can't name em all.

rolins

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2006, 02:30:32 PM »
Quote from: "Dark Fact"
Actually, Sunsoft games for the NES used very high quality sound chips.  What were the names of those? I only remember playing such games like BATMAN and JOURNEY TO SILIUS and the sound in those games were freaking awesome! 8)

Journey to Silius (Raf World on the Famicom) both used MMC1 mapper. The MMC1 mapper had nothing special.

Batman (Nes) used a MMC3 mapper. While the famicom version used a Sunsoft 5 mapper. The Sunsoft 5 is the one with enhanced sound. I'm not sure if this mapper works on a Nes, but I doubt it does since the Nes could not make use of the sound enhancements.

This is because NOA made another stupid move in designing the Nes. The Famicom had 2 pins that allow sound enhancements from games like Akumajou Densetsu. The Nes had these two pins removed and were placed in the bottom expansion port. For reason I have no idea.

GUTS

« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2006, 05:34:30 PM »
That sucks since Mr Gimmick is such a great game, I love it.  I always have to play the Japanese version though because the sound is so annoying in the PAL one, I'll have to try the pal switch thing you mentioned though (I play it on Xbox which is a port of FCEUltra) and see if it helps.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2006, 02:56:54 AM »
Quote from: "rolins"

This is because NOA made another stupid move in designing the Nes. The Famicom had 2 pins that allow sound enhancements from games like Akumajou Densetsu. The Nes had these two pins removed and were placed in the bottom expansion port. For reason I have no idea.

That may be the secret for someone to make a small device to enable compatibility for those games. If that were to happen, there's finally some use for that bottom expansion port.

Dark Fact

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2006, 05:20:49 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
If so, many Sunsoft games had that, Batman: RotJ, Fester's Quest, Gremlins 2: The New Batch, Super Spy Hunter/Battle Formula, Hebereke/Uforia, Journey to Silius, I know there's more can't name em all.

The same.  Nice samples you put up there although I only played the first Batman game for the NES.

Journey to Silius (Raf World on the Famicom) both used MMC1 mapper. The MMC1 mapper had nothing special.

Batman (Nes) used a MMC3 mapper. While the famicom version used a Sunsoft 5 mapper. The Sunsoft 5 is the one with enhanced sound. I'm not sure if this mapper works on a Nes, but I doubt it does since the Nes could not make use of the sound enhancements.

Thanks for the info, Rolins.  It may not be anything special, but the composure for the music still beat the pants off of other NES games at the time.  As for the pin removal, maybe Nintendo wanted to remove those pins because they feared it could be costly.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

rolins

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2006, 05:44:51 AM »

Thanks for the info, Rolins.  It may not be anything special, but the composure for the music still beat the pants off of other NES games at the time.

I second that, Journey to Silius gots one of the best soundtracks I've heard. Along with Castlevania series, Ninja Gaiden 1+2, and Guardian Legend they're are among my favorite ost.

Dark Fact

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2006, 05:51:22 AM »
Guardian Legend had awesome music too! It was also done by one of my favorite game companies ever, COMPILE!

I'm also one of the few gamers nowadays who still remembers Golvellius!

rolins

« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2006, 06:45:08 AM »
I absolutely love that haunting introduction music of Golvellius. I remember hooking up my MSX to a TV and then recorded the music to a tape recorder. I listened to it over and over on my walkman.

Nowadays I use emulators to rip my favorite tunes to mp3.

Dark Fact

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2006, 07:58:58 AM »
I absolutely love that haunting introduction music of Golvellius. I remember hooking up my MSX to a TV and then recorded the music to a tape recorder. I listened to it over and over on my walkman.

Intro? As in the title screen music or the prologue story music?

My favorite theme still has to be the first overworld music.  It has this excellent synth to it when you turn down the frequency. :wink:

rolins

« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2006, 08:21:31 AM »

Intro? As in the title screen music or the prologue story music?

My favorite theme still has to be the first overworld music.  It has this excellent synth to it when you turn down the frequency. :wink:

I was refering to title screen music.

Other great tunes by COMPILE were Xevious (pce), Devil's Crash (pce), Musha (MD), and Zanac/Aleste/Aleste 2 (msx).