Author Topic: DVI to rca adapter  (Read 419 times)

BigusSchmuck

DVI to rca adapter
« on: March 19, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
This may or may not have been answered, but is there a way to hook up my Duo to my monitor using a adapter like this instead of getting it modded?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041901&p_id=2398&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

jelloslug

Re: DVI to rca adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »
That's a component video to DVI.  It won't work.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »
That's a component video to DVI.  It won't work.
I kind of figured that. I was just wondering if there is a cable or even a adapter...

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »
That's not only incompatible with a Duo, but it works in reverse (made to run computers on TVs). I guess it's basically a RGB to YpBpR transcoder. I've never seen one packed into a DVI package before...kind of odd since it probably isn't going to work with DVI-D so it might as well have a VGA socket on the computer side.

Anyway, to play a Duo on a DVI-only device you need...probably another monitor. If the monitor had VGA (does it?) then there are some scalers that would work but all of this gets expensive. I'd look into another display.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:54:56 PM »
That's not only incompatible with a Duo, but it works in reverse (made to run computers on TVs). I guess it's basically a RGB to YpBpR transcoder. I've never seen one packed into a DVI package before...kind of odd since it probably isn't going to work with DVI-D so it might as well have a VGA socket on the computer side.

Anyway, to play a Duo on a DVI-only device you need...probably another monitor. If the monitor had VGA (does it?) then there are some scalers that would work but all of this gets expensive. I'd look into another display.
Yeah it does got a vga port. I was just seeing if there is something that was under the $50 range for this. If there isn't a decent one for a good price, I may just bite the bullet and get a CRT TV.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 12:59:03 PM »
If you have space, get a real TV. They look WAAAAY better than any cobbled together cheap LCD setup (or, honestly, even the best ones) and are basically free. 

NightWolve

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
You'd have to get the Component mod done first. I guess what you're looking for is a Composite-to-DVI adapter since you have a computer monitor that probably only has DVI/HDMI and VGA inputs (New LCD TVs would have Composite, Component and HDMI inputs at the very least). Such an adapter would need to double the resolution to 480p as well. I'm guessing this particular adapter, as cheap as it is, expects 480p input at the bare minimum.

Anyway, if all you wanna do is connect via standard, shitty Composite, then nothing will beat a TV/monitor with a Composite input built in...

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 01:04:39 PM »
A $50 PVM in good shape will beat anything for composite. If the system outputs RGB then a PVM (or similar, doesn't have to be Sony) beats any display at any price, IMHO.

NightWolve

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Well, what he's asking for is a waste. He doesn't wanna mod his system to tap anything internal (RGB), just wants a cheap way to use the shitty Composite output with a computer monitor that only has DVI and VGA inputs. He wants a cheap external device/adapter to convert Composite from the yellow RCA cable directly to DVI...

SignOfZeta

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »
To quote ODB:

"I don't know how you all see it, but when it comes to the children, Wu-Tang is for the children. We teach the children. You know what I mean? 1080p is good, but SD is the BEST."

I think that's what he said. He was kind of a mush mouth though.

esteban

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »
To quote ODB:

"I don't know how you all see it, but when it comes to the children, Wu-Tang is for the children. We teach the children. You know what I mean? 1080p is good, but SD is the BEST."

I think that's what he said. He was kind of a mush mouth though.

I believe the children are the future. Teach them well.

|    | 

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
Sounds like this might work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270365&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
VGA though, but its good enough for me! If someone could offer to do a rgb mod for under $50 I may go that route too...

SignOfZeta

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »
That'll work, but it will look like garbage. If you have the space just buy a nice 17" Trinitron from Craigslist.

NightWolve

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 12:42:40 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270365&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA
VGA though, but its good enough for me! If someone could offer to do a rgb mod for under $50 I may go that route too...

Yeah, that's the best that you can hope for here. Analog Composite to analog VGA conversion and I guess it's more than doubling the resolution (going straight to digital would be needless and more $$$). Consider though, it's $50 bucks with S/H, and that's half way the cost for a new monitor with Composite already built-in to the set's input module... Back in 2000, I bought a 18.1" LCD computer monitor that actually had Composite and S-Video built-in, along with its analog VGA of course... You had to look for them and pay a little more, but they were around. Prices for LCDs were a lot worse back then too. Anyway, a 19" LCD TV for $99 is what I'd recommend instead or yeah, a CRT... You said this was a "monitor" all along, so I'm guessing it's in the 18" size range or less.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »

Yeah, that's the best that you can hope for here. Analog Composite to analog VGA conversion and I guess it's more than doubling the resolution (going straight to digital would be needless and more $$$). Consider though, it's $50 bucks with S/H, and that's half way the cost for a new monitor with Composite already built-in to the set's input module... Back in 2000, I bought a 18.1" LCD computer monitor that actually had Composite and S-Video built-in, along with its analog VGA of course... You had to look for them and pay a little more, but they were around. Prices for LCDs were a lot worse back then too. Anyway, a 19" LCD TV for $99 is what I'd recommend instead or yeah, a CRT... You said this was a "monitor" all along, so I'm guessing it's in the 18" size range or less.

Its 24" LCD that someone had given me for a pc job I did for them a while back. Space is an issue hence the reason why I asked. I think I will go for a CRT as I'm sure I can get one at the salvation army or goodwill for less than $20.