Author Topic: Awesome game name screw ups  (Read 1293 times)

Keranu

Awesome game name screw ups
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2006, 02:57:30 PM »
Haha.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2006, 12:17:15 PM »
One day when I worked in a music/video store, a lady came in asking for "Internal Anal Hits".

It turned out that she was looking for a compilation called "International Super Hits" or something.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Black Tiger

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2006, 12:31:51 PM »
You wouldn't believe how much it pisses off the Ys purists when the game name is spelled with an apostrophe.  :lol:

I'm about as big an Ys fan as there is and I don't mind it when someone unfamiliar with the cult series missprounces the title.

I mean, its: "Ys". I would never expect anyone to ever guess the right pronounciation.

I like the attempt to break it down on the english SMS title screen though. :)

Back before the Turbo CD game, in the SMS heyday, people in my hometown... and by that I mean the people working at the one local video game store... pronounced it Yaize(Yah-ee-zzz).

As for the Y's, it doesn't bother me either since I saw it spelled like that in some early game mags and even Falcom and/or licensees have spelled it that way once or twice.

But I'm pretty easy going with these kinds of things. I never expected my girlfiend to even know what a Sega Master System was, nor care, let alone something like the Turbo'.

I'm also the world's biggest Masters Of The Universe fan and I don't get too worked up everytime some refers to it as "He-Man". I just refuse to refer to it that way.

I do purposely use many mispronounciations of things to "flaunt societies conventions" and/or "keep it real" "old school" when it's something from my childhood.

I always refer to Seinfeld and The Simpsons to friends and family by the names my parents in particularly always used: "Gary Steinfeld" and "Bart Simpsons".
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2006, 01:54:51 PM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
I always refer to Seinfeld and The Simpsons to friends and family by the names my parents in particularly always used: "Gary Steinfeld" and "Bart Simpsons".
hahahahhahahahhahhaha.

Oh my goodness, we have the same parents. My mom refers to it as "Steinfeld" !!!! My brothers and I have corrected her a billion times, so we don't bother anymore. It's funny as hell.

They do this all the time. Back when Giuliani was mayor of NYC, my parents referred to him as Giuliano (our neighbors down the block). Insanity.

I feel the same way as Black_Tiger -- I don't care when people incorrectly pronounce video game names. I am much more likely to get annoyed when folks can't communicate their ideas coherently. As long as you can communicate with me, I don't care if you make "typographical" errors :).
  |    | 

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Double Dragon III
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2006, 02:52:14 AM »
As far as name messups (IN GAME)

I always liked in Double Dragon III in the intro scene when they refer to the dynamic duo as Bimmy and Jimmy.....lol

Or  in Fatal Fury 2 for SNES, when you do Vs. mode and when you finish a fight, it shows the stats for wins and losses...  If you look closely it actually says Win, Lose or Drow....  damn funny stuff.

translators must have worked for peanuts....lol

TurboSage

akamichi

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2006, 03:10:56 AM »
"VICTOLY!"

When I first saw Ys, I thought it was "why'z" or some such.  But luckily I was checking out a Japanese magazine where it's clear how they say read/say it. "ii-su" (rhymes with peace :)  hell, just take out the 'p' and that's pretty much it.)