Author Topic: Latest Doctor Who finally reachs the U.S!  (Read 507 times)

TR0N

Latest Doctor Who finally reachs the U.S!
« on: March 08, 2006, 05:29:19 PM »
I need to spread the "word" given it's one of my favorite serise.

All i can say is it's about time we, get the frist season of the new doctor who in the u.s :!:

http://www.scifi.com/doctorwho

I'm glad the (scifi channel) is giveing it a chance dunno why (pbs) pass it up :P

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

GUTS

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 06:15:43 PM »
I think PBS passed it up because it sucks, the old Dr Who rocks the shit out of the new one.  Especially the Dr Who seasons with the one who wore the scarf and had curly hair (can't remember the guy's name), that guy ruled.  I thought everybody hated the new series?  I remember reading some impressions from people in the UK who were fans and they weren't impressed.

TR0N

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 08:07:19 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
I think PBS passed it up because it sucks, the old Dr Who rocks the shit out of the new one.  Especially the Dr Who seasons with the one who wore the scarf and had curly hair (can't remember the guy's name), that guy ruled.  I thought everybody hated the new series?  I remember reading some impressions from people in the UK who were fans and they weren't impressed.

Dunno the show has gotten awards all ready and stuff.

You might be thinking of the, second season since another actor walk in to play the doctor.

Still just about any body i've talk to at ng.com says it's great.

My advice just watch it for... your self befor you make a final judgement.

Doctor that wore the scarf your thinking of, Tom Baker he was the 4th doctor in the serise.

As for... PBS for passing it up i think it was the money.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 01:21:54 AM »
PBS + money is a oxymoron basically.
Especially the Dr Who seasons with the one who wore the scarf and had curly hair (can't remember the guy's name), that guy ruled.

Yup he was my fav too.

esteban

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 05:59:46 AM »
Crap, I don't have cable. I'd love to see the new episodes. I also missed the made for TV (FOX) American Dr. Who movie that aired many years ago. Eric Roberts played the Master (IIRC). I really want to see that, too.

But there is no way that these new shows can compare with the old ones.  

Quote from: "GUTS"
Tom Baker is the Dr. you're thinking of :). My brothers and I really loved Jon Pertwee as well (he preceded Tom Baker, IIRC). Jon Pertwee just rocks, and he wasn't as corny as Tom Baker. But Baker ruled. I love all the Dr's, really, even the original dude (who was a crabby old man -- no charm whatsover).

Please tell me you folks have watched BLAKE'S 7. This was another great BBC sci-fi show. In some ways, I like it more than Dr. Who.

And while we're on the subject of British tv shows, is anyone here a fan of Adrian Mole? It aired briefly on WNYC in the late 80's (we got it a few years after it aired in the UK, IIRC) .... never to be heard of again. It rocked and I think I'll have to read the series of books that the television show was based on. What are the chances that my local library will have them?
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 06:52:49 PM »
I wish I still had my SCIFI channel. That and FOX News was pretty much all I cared about having when I had my DBS system with DirecTV.

Alas, I had to shut it all down. Finances aren't what they used to be. =\ I'm really missing my SCIFI Fridays with the Stargate series and the new BattleStar Gallactica, too... *sniff*

Anyway, when I clicked the link, I was wondering what the hell this was, cause the impression I was left with by this thread was that they were picking reruns of the original series since I had no idea a new version has been made.

Well, I never watched it myself, but this looks kind of cool. But then, I usually liked SCIFI's line up/choices in general. About all I know of the original is one of my friends/board members is a real Dr. Who nut and has the old Tom Baker Doctor in question as his avatar. That'd be him.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 07:12:10 AM »
I wish I still had my SCIFI channel. That and FOX News was pretty much all I cared about having when I had my DBS system with DirecTV.

As long as you have DSL or high/mid speed cable access,you have Torrentspy.com,and you have tv shows.About anything is torrented these days.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 10:46:45 AM »
Quote from: "Tron"

You might be thinking of the, second season since another actor walk in to play the doctor.

Series 2 hasn't aired yet. The new Doctor is quite promising from the brief pre-series specials I have seen.

In general the new Dr Who is hit and miss, being overly silly in places but remaining fairly entertaining despite that. I would certainly recommend watching it.

And yes, Tom Baker is unbeatable.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 04:00:44 PM »
Well, after a few weeks, I finally figured out how to log back in (had to erase my old cookie for some reason!)

I didn't even know there was a new Doctor Who, but what really makes me happy here is to see that there's another Blake's 7 fan!  Steve, do you know of any DVD's of the show?  They released it on VHS a while back, but at only two episodes per tape, that is kinda prohibitive...

I always wanted to see a follow-up to that show.  The final scene was incredible!
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

esteban

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 01:11:46 PM »
Quote from: "Emerald Rocker"
I didn't even know there was a new Doctor Who, but what really makes me happy here is to see that there's another Blake's 7 fan!  Steve, do you know of any DVD's of the show?  They released it on VHS a while back, but at only two episodes per tape, that is kinda prohibitive...

I always wanted to see a follow-up to that show.  The final scene was incredible!
YES! The final scene in the last episode goes down in the history of television serials as one of the all-time best, as far as I am concerned. I know it will be corny / dorky to admit this, but when I originally saw the final episode, I was verklemmt. My Dad, who introduced me to the series, was watching it with me and we both agreed that it was quite the finale. I was in middle school... so this was around 87-88 when PBS still aired  Blakes 7 on tv.

Now, a few years ago (~97-98?) I started slowly buying the first series on VHS (yeah, you're right -- only two ~50-52 minute episodes per tape) ... but then I saw that Dr. Who's were being released on DVD and I hoped that the same would happen with Blakes 7, so I decided to wait and see. Well, needless to say, there has been absolutely no mention of Blakes 7 making it to DVD here in the States. IIRC, the first two seasons of B7 were released on DVD in Britain, but I could be mistaken! It's been a few years since I looked into it.

I liked all of the seasons of Blakes 7, even the admittedly "weaker" ones sans Blake (after Liberator is replaced with a new ship,  and Blake disappears and is replaced with the "fake Blake" -- young brash dude -- and the cute lady with long, straight blonde hair).

Anyway, I fear that Blakes 7 will never be released again in the States because it doesn't have the fan base to support it. I hope I'm wrong, of course. I haven't researched the status of Blakes 7 for a few years, so maybe there have been some developments.

I still have a bunch of random Blakes 7 and Dr. Who episodes that I  recorded off of PBS when I was a kid. They are in great shape, IIRC, especially for being 20 years old :). IIRC, some of the Dr. Who episodes have yet to be released here in the States, in fact. I'll have to dig them up one of these days.
  |    | 

motdelbuort

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 08:29:13 AM »
All right I love Doctor Who! I actually imported the PAL DVDs for the first series when it came out a while back, and plan on doing the same soon. Hope the new guy is good.

I used to really be into the books when I was in High School, the New Adventures. In a way I kind of ended up liking them better than the OS.