Author Topic: Great song. Brilliant video.  (Read 285 times)

esteban

Great song. Brilliant video.
« on: June 26, 2006, 10:35:38 AM »
Music video for "Jed's Other Poem (Beautiful Ground)"

I'm not familiar with the band ("Grandaddy"), but this particular song is great (IMO). But even if you hate the song, check out the video.... a simple concept, elegantly executed. Seriously, I don't think anything could be improved... and the ending of the video is perfect, IMO.

I'm not gonna write an essay, but this video effectively elicits a "Ghost in the Machine" feeling for me, particularly due to the ending sequence, which is ironic because the ending should result in the *opposite* feeling (i.e. revealing the code of the program should undermine the sincerity of the message that preceded it... the prior message is revealed as an imitation of life... the product of sterile, mathematical, preplanned lines of code.)

Don't worry, I'll stop there. :)

Oh yeah, and just to illustrate the "randomness" of the web, I stumbled this video while reading about Mac Internet Explorer.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 04:53:14 PM »
Not much into the song, but the video was outstanding! Was that really all programmed in Applesoft on a Apple II? That's wickedly awesome!!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 08:50:19 PM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Not much into the song, but the video was outstanding! Was that really all programmed in Applesoft on a Apple II? That's wickedly awesome!!
As far as I can tell, yes. It must have taken a lot of tweaking to get the timing so perfect. Did you notice that even the cursor blinking was in synch with the song?

I checked out Grandaddy's site. They have many great songs and it seems many of their videos are pretty creative, low-budget fiascos.
  |    | 

grahf

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 02:12:38 AM »
That was pretty cool, once it got going a little bit.

cavein2000

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 06:56:48 AM »
yeah, that video was pretty cool.  I used to listen to that band about 4 or 5 years ago.  I never saw one of their videos though.  Good stuff.
What a horrible night to have a curse...