Author Topic: Would you mod your system with this?  (Read 652 times)

Desh

Re: Would you mod your system with this?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 02:58:28 AM »
Personally, if you go as far as getting an emulator device for the CD-Rom, you might as well just play the games on an emulator on your PC. I originally saw that for the 3d0 and almost jumped on it, but I thought I'd go too far away of why I kept or repurchased my old retro consoles.

This is a very valid point but eventually there won't be any parts left to repair the CD ROMs on these old consoles.  I just had to look for a replacement laser for the stand alone CD ROM and unless I wanted to spend around $80.00 (for a used one in most cases).  I had to go to eBay and seek out a good used Discman from the early 90's and rob the part.  Using a mod like this at least uses the real hardware to run a rom, not just an emulator.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 03:08:40 AM »
Personally, if you go as far as getting an emulator device for the CD-Rom, you might as well just play the games on an emulator on your PC.

Uh, this makes no sense.  Do you also equate using a flashcart to playing roms on a computer?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

wyndcrosser

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »
Realistically, yes flash carts still emulate mappers etc. do I use them? Of course, but hell I have a z64 and a game doctor sf7. There's no feeling Nerco like putting in a legit cd or cart/chip when playing a retro system. The artwork is key too. I miss manuals most of all... Psp vita and 3ds games make me sad as a gamer. I'm assuming you don't?

NightWolve

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 03:07:38 PM »
The result of this sort of emulation would just be faster read time though, game data from the CD image would be transferred that much faster to that 256 KB/384 KB system RAM for execution, etc.

Emulating an actual CPU, a GPU, Sound CPU, etc. all the main parts of the actual console that process the game for playing on your PC is what introduces all the inaccuracies that people might complain about and why they prefer real hardware. Emulator authors NEVER even finish all of that work, it's never 100% because it involves reverse engineering your way to the goal, without many of the inside design docs of the company that created the console and so forth.

This sort of component though, a CD reader emulator to intercept read control from the physical CD reader to the USB add-on should be something that a programmer(s) could completely finish because it's not as highly complex as say emulating a whole CPU, etc. So yeah, I'd say the concern of this emulation here somehow not giving you a 100% identical experience to the real CD reader is unnecessary.

wyndcrosser

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »
Oh, I'm not fighting you on the fact of that it will play and may play even better than the original cd drive. My thoughts is it's just not the same. Now, if you're a collector and play TurboCD games occasionally then this would be for you. Again, realistically it's personal taste. I wish there were more 3D0 games I could get into to make this worth while.

Nightwolve, have you been working on anymore translations?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 04:45:02 AM »
There's no feeling Nerco like putting in a legit cd or cart/chip when playing a retro system.

Maybe you could keep a toaster nearby, so you can stuff the game in and pretend.  :mrgreen:

I'm not collectardy enough to enjoy playing a game less because it's loose, missing the spine card, or whatever.  Fun games are fun games.

The artwork is key too. I miss manuals most of all...

Why would I get rid of my games if I bought such a device?  When I got a flash cart, I didn't sell any hueys.

esteban

Would you mod your system with this?
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 04:52:44 AM »
There's no feeling Nerco like putting in a legit cd or cart/chip when playing a retro system.

Maybe you could keep a toaster nearby, so you can stuff the game in and pretend.  :mrgreen:

I'm not collectardy enough to enjoy playing a game less because it's loose, missing the spine card, or whatever.  Fun games are fun games.

The artwork is key too. I miss manuals most of all...

Why would I get rid of my games if I bought such a device?  When I got a flash cart, I didn't sell any hueys.

Oster with a bunch of nice features: extra wide bagel slot, defrost, composite out, etc.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:00:14 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 05:23:51 AM »
No s-video mod?  :lol:

esadajr

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 06:18:06 AM »
it would expand the life of the system until it completely and totally dies, so why not?

Gaming since 1985

esteban

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »

No s-video mod?  :lol:

You know me, I haven't delved into any of those modifications...I don't want anyone drilling holes into my stainless steel.
  |    | 

Ayce

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 10:56:29 AM »
At that price no way. I'd rather buy blank CD-r's and burn the games.