Author Topic: Your ethnicity  (Read 1902 times)

Ninja Spirit

Your ethnicity
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2005, 04:20:44 AM »
I never celebrated Halloween...until this past HW. The club I hang out at almost every weekend had a thing where if you dressed up as something, you get in for free.

My family were church people, they never let us do any of that Trick or Treating and other stuff like that.

But I do remember one Halloween like a long time ago, I dressed up like a ninja, hid in the dark, in the trees and threw water balloons at trick or treaters that came to our house. Yeah I was a mean mothafugga back then.

esteban

Your ethnicity
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2005, 05:48:14 AM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
I never celebrated Halloween...until this past HW. The club I hang out at almost every weekend had a thing where if you dressed up as something, you get in for free.

My family were church people, they never let us do any of that Trick or Treating and other stuff like that.

But I do remember one Halloween like a long time ago, I dressed up like a ninja, hid in the dark, in the trees and threw water balloons at trick or treaters that came to our house. Yeah I was a mean mothafugga back then.
You mean bastard :). Seriously, though, when I was a kid, we always had to watch out for the older kids because they really did steal candy and stuff. They wouldn't beat you up, but they'd wrestle it away from you if you resisted. If you were lucky, they wouldn't take everything, but just take a percentage :)

I always hated mischief night... I rode a bike to work when I was a kid and I was the a sitting duck at the firing range. Luckilly, I never ran into any mischief makers, but I was anxious for the entire ride home. Thankfully, I bought a car by the time I entered college.
  |    | 

GUTS

Your ethnicity
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2005, 08:04:45 AM »
My family was highly religious too, but fortunately my parents didn't see any harm in halloween since even christmas was originally adopted from a pagan holiday.

There was a summer where I couldn't watch smurfs though because of Gargamel always using magic to try and turn the smurfs into gold.  My mom had this crazy friend who would get wild hairs up her ass about stuff like that and try and convince everyone she knew that she was right, it sucked.

Dark Fact

Your ethnicity
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2006, 08:20:32 AM »
My family are Ukrainian.  So, I come from a rich Ukrainian family. :)

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Keranu

Your ethnicity
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2006, 04:31:21 PM »
Lucky :P .

Us Irish people are always poor :( .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

Your ethnicity
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2006, 06:44:20 PM »
Quote from: "Dark Fact"
My family are Ukrainian.  So, I come from a rich Ukrainian family. :)
???!!! A fellow Ukranian? Wow, this is a small world. My dad came over as a kid during WWII. No $$$ though, they were refugees. My cousins know Ukranian and Russian -- unfortunately I never picked up these languages (just some basic stuff). My dad kind of distanced himself from his heritage -- it was tough growing up in America during the Cold War, especially when folks here equated "Ukranian" with "USSR" -- and never really shared it with my brothers and I. My aunts, however, encouraged their kids (my cousins) to learn the language and culture.
  |    | 

Dark Fact

Your ethnicity
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2006, 08:51:15 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Lucky  .

Us Irish people are always poor  .

Quote from: "stevek666"
???!!! A fellow Ukranian? Wow, this is a small world. My dad came over as a kid during WWII. No $$$ though, they were refugees. My cousins know Ukranian and Russian -- unfortunately I never picked up these languages (just some basic stuff). My dad kind of distanced himself from his heritage -- it was tough growing up in America during the Cold War, especially when folks here equated "Ukranian" with "USSR" -- and never really shared it with my brothers and I. My aunts, however, encouraged their kids (my cousins) to learn the language and culture.

Oops.  I meant to say culturally rich, not financially rich. :oops:

My parents immigrated here 25 years ago and my dad is very persistent in upholding our culture.  Thing is, I'm more fluent in English than Ukrainian.  In fact, I haven't spoken fluent Ukrainian since I was a kid!  :shock:   I can still speak a little bit but not as fluent as English.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Bonknuts

Your ethnicity
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2006, 04:34:30 PM »
Hmmm... mostly English (last name - Leverton), French, and German. My father traced our last name as far back as 12th century A.D. A lot of German last names in there as well(schiender,schaefer), but strangly with french first and middle names. Both sides of the family have lineage from Alsace Lorain(sp?). My great unlce spoke french and keep contact with distant family, unfortunately the language was not passed on by my grand mother or her brother.  

I did have one famous relative - Thomas Lynch who signed the Declaration of Independence. My great grandmother was disowned by her father (a supreme court judge) for marrying a german man and was therefore cut off from the family fortune :x

Keranu

Your ethnicity
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2006, 07:12:37 PM »
Neat-o history.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kaminari

Your ethnicity
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2006, 01:41:37 PM »
Quote from: "Bonknuts"
Both sides of the family have lineage from Alsace Lorain (sp?).

Yes, Alsace-Lorraine, an eastern province bordering Germany. Most Alsacians have a French and German heritage which goes back to the Frankish Empire (9th Century). That certainly explains why the first and last names of your ancestors are of mixed origins.

PC Gaijin

Your ethnicity
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2006, 01:47:03 AM »
One half Korean, 3/8 Irish, and 1/8 Choctaw. Interestingly, my surname is Anglo so people often assume I have an English background, but the name was adopted by my Choctaw great-grandfather when he assumed a "white" name to go to medical school.

Family pictures are often strange due to the mixed races. For example, my hair is black and my eyes are brown (from my Korean mother), my father is very white with freckles, green eyes, and red hair (the Irish blood from his full Irish mother and half-Irish father), while my grandfather had black hair again but with very white skin (half Choctaw, half Irish).

Bonknuts

Your ethnicity
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2006, 01:02:30 PM »
Cool, Thanks Kaminari :D

the name was adopted by my Choctaw great-grandfather when he assumed a "white" name to go to medical school.

That somewhat common in the 1800's and early 1900's for immigrants as well, trying to gain acceptance into the (then) current hard nose society :?