Author Topic: Now I have heard everything ...  (Read 329 times)

esteban

Now I have heard everything ...
« on: April 09, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »
source: http://wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=3828 (see pics of dude!)

for lazy bums:
National guardsman changed his name to a toy
Reported by Vic Gideon
POSTED: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 4:02:13 AM
UPDATED: Monday, October 13, 2003 9:51:14 PM

CUYAHOGA FALLS -- A member of Ohio's 5694th National Guard Unit in Mansfield legally changed his name to a Transformers toy.

Optimus Prime is heading out to the Middle East with his guard unit on Wednesday to provide fire protection for airfields under combat.

"On Sunday, we were announced as the best firefighting unit in the Army National Guard in the entire country," said Prime. "That was a big moment for us."

Prime took his name from the leader of the Autobots Transformers, which were popular toys and a children's cartoon in the 1980s.

He legally changed his name on his 30th birthday and now it's on everything from his driver's license, to his military ID, to his uniform.

"They razzed me for three months to no end," said Prime. "They really dug into me about it."

Prime says the toy actually filled a void in his life when it came out.

"My dad passed away the year before and I didn't have anybody really around, so I really latched onto him when I was a kid," he said.
  |    | 

Superfamifreak

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 09:18:24 PM »
THAT is the most awesome thing I have ever read! :D

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:32:14 PM »
Oh my god....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!  :lol:
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

akamichi

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 10:10:40 PM »
Totally awesome!  Actually, I read about this before but it's still cool. :)

"Army National Guard... transform and roll out!"  hahhahahaha!

rolins

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 06:27:34 AM »
Hahahaha, thats way too cool. I want to have my Driver's lisence say Alpha Trion or Omega Supreme.

soundwave

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 09:12:47 AM »
Just off to get mine changed to Soundwave now :D :D

Neil

GUTS

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 06:47:23 PM »
Ugh man, that guy is 30 years old, what the hell?  That's something you would think is cool when you're 17 but figure out how incredibly f*cking stupid it really is a couple years later.  What a total dipshit.

esteban

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 08:24:53 PM »
Quote from: "akamichi"
"Army National Guard... transform and roll out!"  hahhahahaha!
Ha! That's great :).

Personally, I think "Optimus Prime" is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to bold. I'd go  with my favorite name: "Starscream". You see, you can get away with "Starscream" because it sounds like a military nickname (ok, I might be stretching things, but "Optimus Prime" is a mouthful).

But as GUTS said, this is crazy coming from a 30-year old. In all fairness, I think this guy must have had some rough periods in his youth, and I don't want to crap on the things that helped him through them. My initial reaction was to laugh, but then I realized that this dude was actually (pretty) serious.

But it's crazy. Crazy I tell you!

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want to meet this guy and talk to him, though. He is one of the few people who'd I'd actually want to get an autograph from. Actually, I want to get the autographs from a whole bunch of crazy people.
  |    |