Author Topic: Frank Thomas is Immortal  (Read 256 times)

TheClash603

Frank Thomas is Immortal
« on: July 27, 2014, 04:12:13 PM »
Finally got a chance to watch the greatest baseball player of my lifetime give his HOF speech.  I know there are a few Chicago guys on here, so I figured the man at least deserved to get a quick shout out from PCE land.

P.S. - My father and I don't hug or really doing any of that emotional stuff...  but after watching that speech, I should probably hug my father.

johnnymad

Re: Frank Thomas is Immortal
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »
The Big Hurt was one of my favorite players. He was definitely a great one.

There was a small HOF class this year but still a good class.  I'm a Braves fan so it was a good year for them. Maddux, Glavine and manager, Bobby Cox are all deserving members.

TheClash603

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »
I put Maddux at #3 for pitchers in my lifetime, with the edge going only to Pedro Martinez who at his peak was the best pitcher I have ever watched and Randy Johnson who had a great long career and was the most intimidating player I ever saw on the mound.

After the sad state of last year's HOF, it was really good for baseball to have such a great class.  Torre's speech was pretty impressive as well, the way he spoke so highly of the game was really great.  I will try to get up to Cooperstown in November to check out the first-timers section and new displays.

I just saw on TV that the Diamondbacks 2001 World Series run beat LaRussa, Cox, then Torre as the three opposing managers in the playoffs...  that is craziness.

johnnymad

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 05:03:40 PM »
I remember one of Maddux's starts where he threw 76 pitches and the game was a little over an hour long. I looked up the pitch count but couldn't find the exact time. That's ridiculous.

I just saw on TV that the Diamondbacks 2001 World Series run beat LaRussa, Cox, then Torre as the three opposing managers in the playoffs...  that is craziness.

Wow. Forgot about that. Made it through three hall of fame managers.

jtucci31

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 05:48:38 PM »
I only heard a part of his speech on the radio when they played it after the game today. It was pretty great to hear. I grew up watching him play with the White Sox. I'm glad he got in, he definitely seemed like he was on cloud 9. My dad actually met him last year at some kind of signing and said he was a real nice guy.

My dad and I used to go to games all the time when I was younger and get to see Frank play. So maybe I should go hug my pops as well.

elderbroom

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »
As with all the Toronto sports franchises we had him when he was past his prime.  He was one of the most feared bats in the league during his time in Chicago.  Always got the impression that he was a fans player .. ie: a guy that would get down on one knee to sign a baseball card for a kid anytime. Class act .. glad he's in.  I was a Griffey Jr. fan growing up.
-----------------------
Elderbroom
My TG-16/PCE Collection : http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/615/show-collection.htm

johnnymad

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 06:07:03 PM »
Still in awe of that class. Think it's around 6,000 wins and 7 championships between the managers and what, five or six Cy Youngs for the pitchers? Big Hurt had several MVPs as well, I think. Gonna be a while before there's a class as good as this one.

And it's crazy that Glavine was drafted in hockey before several NHL hall of famers. Who says pitchers aren't athletes?