Author Topic: Testing Turbokon's RGB to Component PCB with various systems...  (Read 170 times)

Sensato Kuro

Testing Turbokon's RGB to Component PCB with various systems...
« on: December 22, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »
I recently purchased 3 RGB to YPbPr PCBs from Turbokon. I love the result of this PCB with the TG16, the Genny and the SNES. Thanks to the steve for designing this converter by the way! I'm thinking about testing it with even more systems.

Somebody asked me if I could mod his Dreamcast with a component video ouput because his setup doesn't have a VGA input. Loos like the timing is perfect for a first test: the Dreamcast.

I've recorded some video of Ikaruga booting in composite and in component. I've edited the video so that both sequences are synched side-by-side. Here is the result of the test:

For the test, the PCB has 1k resistors on the RGB line (SNES & Genny revision of the PCB). I've tried adding 1K pots in series with the 1k resistors but I couldn't get this right. I also tried replacing the resistors with the 1k pots but it didn't work either. I've even tried adding 220uF caps on the Dreamcast's RGB signal but it didn't change a thing.

I'm pretty stuck there, with no more ideas on how to make this work. Anybody's input is welcomed.

thesteve

Re: Testing Turbokon's RGB to Component PCB with various systems...
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »
The board requires a + offset for the color mixers to work
If your source is capacitor coupled, connect before the caps

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Sensato Kuro

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 11:37:06 AM »
Alright, I'll try that. Thanks! I guess that explains why I get colors on screens which have bright backgrounds? Could pull-up resistors work too?

thesteve

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 09:13:22 AM »
yes pull-up resistors should work