Author Topic: Fun Thread Time: Bastardized anime games  (Read 328 times)

Ninja Spirit

Fun Thread Time: Bastardized anime games
« on: May 11, 2006, 12:42:17 PM »
OK y'all just for fun, let's try and bring up as many old games that were stripped of their Japanese anime roots when being localized.

Cratermaze (Turbografx 16): Doraemon
Keith Courage (Turbografx 16): Wataru
Street Combat (SNES): Ranma 1/2, the BOMBSHELL of localization
Dynasty Wars, Destiny of an Emperor, Warriors of Fate (Arcade, Famicom): Romance of Three Kingdoms
UN Squadron (SNES Arcade): Area 88
Ninja Kid (NES): Gegege no Kitaro
Dragon Power (NES): Dragon Ball
Black Belt (SMS) Last Battle (Genesis): Hokuto no Ken

rolins

Re: Fun Thread Time: Bastardized anime games
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 01:15:25 PM »
Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"
OK y'all just for fun, let's try and bring up as many old games that were stripped of their Japanese anime roots when being localized.

UN Squadron (SNES Arcade): Area 88

UN Squadron wasn't a total loss, it was a great port and it's one of my favorite shooters on the snes. They still had some the cutscenes and art even in the U.S arcade version. The name change doesn't make a difference to me, but I was more disappointed that Greg Gates was not selectable in the snes port, but then again he wasn't the best choice in the arcades either. Mickey Simon is topps.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 03:55:47 AM »
Not really talking about US/Japanese or differences in games or comparing versions in general, unless if noteworthy (like Street Combat), just name changes and stuff like that, that when localized, people back then didnt' know it was based off an anime.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 06:09:28 AM »
Spellcaster (SMS) and Mystic Defender (MD) = Kujaku-O
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Dark Fact

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 05:51:40 PM »
I remember the way U.S. game companies took these games and bastardized them to make them look more american.

The thing was: U.S. game companies didn't believe at the time that "japanimation" would be a major seller to gamers so they had to rework them to make them look more American.  That would also explain why many games for the NES, SNES, T16, TCD, SMS and GENESIS had their cover boxes reworked from their original anime designs to make them look more American.  

Had anime been as huge then as it is now, that would never had occurred.  Shame really, because the original anime coverarts looked far better than the american fantasy art crap that they replaced them with.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

esteban

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 07:10:02 AM »
Quote from: "Dark Fact"
Had anime been as huge then as it is now, that would never had occurred.  Shame really, because the original anime coverarts looked far better than the american fantasy art crap that they replaced them with.
I agree, but, there is another way to look at this: we now have a wonderful, special legacy of cover art unique to North America! IMO, we can treasure these special beauties now. Back in the day, of course, I wanted the covers to be KOOL and would have preferred most of the original Japanese coverart. Now, however, I more fully appreciate the art we did get. :)

Silver lining in the cloud, I say :)
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 06:08:37 PM »
Old skool 80's AMERICAN cover art FOREVER! :)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).