Author Topic: PCE Briefcase Setup Losing Save Files ??  (Read 398 times)

Nec.Game.head

PCE Briefcase Setup Losing Save Files ??
« on: June 26, 2014, 08:23:29 AM »
I within the past few months obtained my very first briefcase setup, about a week ago I decided to played some Rondo Of Blood on it. I went ahead and saved and ended game after I was done passing a few levels, yesterday I decided to continue my game and I had no save file for the game. I then went ahead and started the system with no CD in the drive and pressed select to check for any saved data, to my surprise there were no save files whatsoever. So I went ahead and tried playing Rondo again, saved my game powered off the system and turned it back on loaded the game file and it was fine. I went ahead and disconnected the AC adapter from the system waited 15 minutes plugged it back in, tested it out and no more save file for Rondo Of Blood. I'm not clear on this but the briefcase setup can save and store game files right ?? Or is my IFU docking station having problems with storing save files ??
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: PCE Briefcase Setup Losing Save Files ??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:06:37 AM »
Yes, the IFU is capable of saving games.  Yours likely has a dead cap, which is what powers the save ram when it's not plugged in.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:19:32 AM »
Yes, the IFU is capable of saving games.  Yours likely has a dead cap, which is what powers the save ram when it's not plugged in.

Sweet thanks bro, is there a mapping online on where that particular cap is on the IFU by chance ?? I suppose for starters I should open her up and take a look for any physical signs of bad or leaky caps.
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »
The big one.  On second thought, it could be a rechargeable battery; I know the Duos use a big cap, but I'm not certain what's in the IFU or Super CD.  Whichever it is, it's likely where your problem lies since the saves work as long as the system is plugged in.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

turbokon

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 11:46:15 AM »
I'm pretty sure the tg dock/ ifu uses the same super capacitor for its save.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »
Well I opened her up and figured out the problem I was having. In the pic you will notice a separation on of the white connecters. The board seems to be warped a bit possibly because when I push down on the board to make the white connecter connect completely it pops right back up on its own instantly. So I decided to solder wire from leg to corresponding leg and just bridge the connection. Lol my soldering came out looking fairly crude but it completely fixed the issue I was having !! Now I can get back to playing my game through with no worries !!!

roflmao

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
Woo hoo!

Fidde_se

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 02:25:04 AM »
Here's everything you need to know about that battery.
--> http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=15656
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

thesteve

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 09:49:08 PM »
if i recall right there should be a foam pad on top of that board holding it down when the cover is on
if the pad was stuck under the board it would pop the connector up as shown

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 06:56:49 PM »

Well my briefcase setup is at it again losing my save files if I disconnect the AC adapter from the unit for more then a day.

I found the Vishay product line through Mouser.com but I do not know which Supercapacitors / Ultracapacitors to buy ??

Here is the link ...
http://www.mouser.com/Vishay/_/N-1z0zls5?Keyword=196&FS=True

wolfman

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 08:59:51 PM »

Well my briefcase setup is at it again losing my save files if I disconnect the AC adapter from the unit for more then a day.

I found the Vishay product line through Mouser.com but I do not know which Supercapacitors / Ultracapacitors to buy ??

Here is the link ...
http://www.mouser.com/Vishay/_/N-1z0zls5?Keyword=196&FS=True

5.5 Volts, 0.047 Microfarads.
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROMĀ², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fidde_se

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »
Goto www.mouser.com and search for MAL219612473E3 and that would be the one.
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/

thesteve

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 06:49:20 AM »
its not that picky
find a super cap that will fit in the unit and is rated 5.5v or higher and 0.047F or higher
higher voltage makes it more reliable(pointless in this case)
higher capacity gives your saves longer shelf life

Fidde_se

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 07:02:59 AM »
Yeah that's true, but as it is on the upper card check the height so that it fits when assembled, ones with higher value or other brands might have different pin spacing.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 07:00:23 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the words of information gentlemen, noted and shall do ...