Author Topic: PCE Duo-R "please set disc"  (Read 609 times)

IrishNinja

Re: PCE Duo-R "please set disc"
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 12:03:25 PM »
so, a guy on GAF is saying the mega drive 2 AC is the exact same voltage as the stock Duo-R:

INPUT: 100-240V AC
50/60Hz
OUTPUT: 9V DC 1A (1000mA)

really just debating this vs the retro game cave one for shipping waiting times at this point, i guess.  ill post back if and when this doesn't resolve the CD loading problem though!
Cuttin' hangtabs since christmas '86

Bernie

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 12:09:37 PM »
I'd be careful using different power supplies.  I am not too sure which ones are compatible.  If you waited for it to come from Japan, I would think you could wait a few more days for a power supply from Chuck over at retro game cave.  He ships fast, and the power supply will be made for your unit.

IrishNinja

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 01:29:52 PM »
fair point - just ordered from RGC!  just wondering if the voltage discrepancy really stands to resolve this issue, hopefully it does but again ill post back if it doesn't just to see who else here has adjusted the post shown in that guide & has pointers. 

whisper2053

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »
Fix the voltage and see. That is a problem in and of itself at this point. As Bernie said, mixing and matching psu's is never a good idea, ESPECIALLY if they don't match up current.

TheOldMan

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »
I'm using a Radio Shack 273-318, Enercell 6~12V  2.5A  AC Adapter. I run mine at 9V. Higher Amps is okay, just  means extra juice when you need it. Higher VOLTS will cause problems. Set the switch right.
Take the console with you to get the correct tip, and double-check the polarity to get it right (I used a meter to check mine)

Total cost was less than $30. They have a cheaper 1.4A one, but I splurged for the extra amperage.

And yes, I've tried to run the cd off of a lower voltage / lower amp supply. Games are fine, but cd player takes that extra bit of power.

IrishNinja

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 10:11:03 PM »
okay, an update to my doujindace RGB/region modded Duo-R woes:

1) a while back, we discovered it wouldn't read discs unless on a flat surface - anything slightly off and it gives the "please set disc" error or just keeps checking.  even with this, it can be temperamental on running them.
2) a few weeks ago i noticed effects (seen as soon as the system starts up) where the screen seems to jump a little bit, randomly too.  i moved the cable about & sometimes it goes away but again, seems random.  i'd ordered another RGB cable from retro_console_accessories but that one doesn't seem to work at all, in the process of exchanging it.
3) just tonight, when playing Rondo, i had audio going on during levels - just music, not sound effects (particularly a bummer for this masterpiece).

really thinking i should reach out to Keither Courage & get this thing looked at, just wanted to see if anyone else'd had similar issues...i know # 3 isn't uncommon, has anyone run into the first one though?  f*ck, i love this thing but i still feel like doujin sent me a lemon.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 10:53:26 PM »
okay, an update to my doujindace RGB/region modded Duo-R woes:

1) a while back, we discovered it wouldn't read discs unless on a flat surface - anything slightly off and it gives the "please set disc" error or just keeps checking.  even with this, it can be temperamental on running them.
2) a few weeks ago i noticed effects (seen as soon as the system starts up) where the screen seems to jump a little bit, randomly too.  i moved the cable about & sometimes it goes away but again, seems random.  i'd ordered another RGB cable from retro_console_accessories but that one doesn't seem to work at all, in the process of exchanging it.
3) just tonight, when playing Rondo, i had audio going on during levels - just music, not sound effects (particularly a bummer for this masterpiece).

really thinking i should reach out to Keither Courage & get this thing looked at, just wanted to see if anyone else'd had similar issues...i know # 3 isn't uncommon, has anyone run into the first one though?  f*ck, i love this thing but i still feel like doujin sent me a lemon.

Doujin is a nice guy, but he just doesn't do a really good job. The Duo-R I bought from him had a shit s-video job and the rgb picture is a little off. I've learned to ignore it. Meh. Also, not to mention he had it set in the wrong format when it arrived and the picture was in black and white, so I had to buy a special screwdriver to open it up and flip a switch inside. Double meh.

Probably should try to adjust the picture, but I feel like I'll break something.

IrishNinja

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 07:33:29 PM »
yeah, ive been feeling that way for a bit now - others seem to have better experiences with their unit from what ive read.  really wish i'dve pushed to swap it out when the problems first arose, he was helpful with sending tools & such but it's just not yet a reliable unit.

i believe he said the capacitors were changed out (a modder buddy i think verified this a while back?) but the issue of music dropping, is that often related to them or something else?

HailingTheThings

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »
yeah, ive been feeling that way for a bit now - others seem to have better experiences with their unit from what ive read.  really wish i'dve pushed to swap it out when the problems first arose, he was helpful with sending tools & such but it's just not yet a reliable unit.

i believe he said the capacitors were changed out (a modder buddy i think verified this a while back?) but the issue of music dropping, is that often related to them or something else?

First and foremost, I may state that I, Hail, am not one to ask such things. However, from what I've heard, yes, that is an issue associated from (a) bad capacitor(s).

Should totes holler at one of the techs. i.e. Keith. Should.

I myself am thinking of possibly having my baby re-modded to my certain specifications.

Keith Courage

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 11:48:16 PM »
I have yet to see a DUO-R with bad capacitors. Not saying there aren't any but if there are they are few and far between.

Still sounds like read issues to me. I bet the CD lens just needs some very minor adjustments to be made.