Author Topic: TG CD, how to hook it up?  (Read 222 times)

ifkz

TG CD, how to hook it up?
« on: August 29, 2014, 08:04:48 AM »
Just yesterday I saw the official adapter for the TG CD at a retro game store.  This got me thinking about the parts required to get the original TG CD attachment working if I wanted to piece one together.  I have searched here and google for a owners manual, or an unboxing video but I have had no luck.

So far:
1.  The docking station
2.  A super system 2.0 card
3.  The CD ROM unit
4.  A dedicated TG CD AC adapter
5.  A TG-16

What happens to the original TG-16 AC adapter?  Does this plug into the TG-16 also (so there are two), or is it not needed anymore?

Does the completed TG CD require another video cable, or does the video output through the attached TG-16?

Are there any other grounding plates or screws needed?
THANKS TO ALL PCEfx members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: TG CD, how to hook it up?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:14:31 AM »
Those five things are it, though you can substitute a Super System Card (or any PCE syscard if it's region modded).  The original AC is no longer needed and video is output through the dock.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ifkz

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:24:07 AM »
Great, so I was pretty much spot-on.  I also read all of the docking station locks need to be engaged for the completed system to power up.  Is the video cable a standard male-to-male DVD player type cable (yellow, white, red)?

Perhaps I should get that TG CD AC adapter next time I stop by that retro game store.
THANKS TO ALL PCEfx members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:26:13 AM »
Yes, it uses standard RCA jacks.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ctophil

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:33:34 AM »
Great, so I was pretty much spot-on.  I also read all of the docking station locks need to be engaged for the completed system to power up.  Is the video cable a standard male-to-male DVD player type cable (yellow, white, red)?

Perhaps I should get that TG CD AC adapter next time I stop by that retro game store.

The Turbografx CD AC Adapter is hard to come by.  Even if the Retro game store had it, they probably use a substitute third-party brand.  If you can't get one for some reason, you can get a generic Radio Shack one with 12v and 2.5a.  The original AC Adapter spec is 11v and 1.53a.  The Radio Shack adapter may be higher, but it'll work perfectly.