Author Topic: Studio Ghibli closing feature film production  (Read 589 times)

pulstar

Re: Studio Ghibli closing feature film production
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 04:17:13 AM »
He also directed "From up on poppy hill".

Ah, haven't seen it yet. I've been meaning to watch it but haven't got round to it. It seems to be very similar in style to Graveyard of the Fireflies (which I really enjoyed but its a film that's hard to watch over and over again).
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 05:42:20 AM »
He also directed "From up on poppy hill".

Ah, haven't seen it yet. I've been meaning to watch it but haven't got round to it. It seems to be very similar in style to Graveyard of the Fireflies (which I really enjoyed but its a film that's hard to watch over and over again).

Of Ghibli movies I'd say it's more similar to Whisper of the Heart.

I actually liked it a little more.
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 06:20:13 AM »
I enjoyed Poppy Hill more than Ponyo or Arrietty myself.  I think with some more practice we could continue to get amazing products from Ghibli but I'm glad they are stopping to refocus their efforts so that they produce stellar properties. 

I would rather have them make well thought out decisions than just rushing headfirst to get something out the door for the next quarter/year/whatever just to make a buck.  That's what so many game devs in Japan are doing now and we get the crap that Capcom and Konami is putting out which pales compared to older IPs.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

esteban

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 12:40:44 AM »
I didn't hear about this until now...damn.
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 02:25:46 AM »
Oh, this is that studio that Disney has been localizing some anime from... Yeah, I've seen some of their work, I rented 3 Disney DVDs very recently, all this year, "Howl's Moving Castle," "Castle in the Sky," and "The Secret World of Arietty." Pretty interesting stuff, enjoyed all of them, although Arietty for all its charm could've used some more plot work I thought, plus it was a little too short.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 04:04:24 AM »
Oh, this is that studio that Disney has been localizing some anime from... Yeah, I've seen some of their work, I rented 3 Disney DVDs very recently, all this year, "Howl's Moving Castle," "Castle in the Sky," and "The Secret World of Arietty." Pretty interesting stuff, enjoyed all of them, although Arietty for all its charm could've used some more plot work I thought, plus it was a little too short.

Disney has been localizing some, a few for example "From Up On Poppy Hill" and "Princess Kaguya" have been localized by other companies. An older one called "Grave of the Fireflies" was localized by another company as well.

There's a few Ghibli movies that haven't legitimately been released to home video in the US as well.
--DragonmasterDan

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 06:00:06 AM »
Oh and I found this related video kind of cool.
--DragonmasterDan

Medic_wheat

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 09:21:11 AM »

Disney has been localizing some, a few for example "From Up On Poppy Hill" and "Princess Kaguya" have been localized by other companies. An older one called "Grave of the Fireflies" was localized by another company as well.

There's a few Ghibli movies that haven't legitimately been released to home video in the US as well.

I'd love to see a bluray bundel (dubbed stuff) offered some time soon.... a collection would be great....but even IF such a collection were to exist they would mark it up to some silly amount.

oh well...........

esteban

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 10:52:55 AM »

Folks who have never seen Grave of the Butterflies should absolutely see it. Excellent.
  |    | 

InfraMan

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »
Folks who have never seen Grave of the Butterflies should absolutely see it. Excellent.

It absolutely is! I don't think I've ever been so emotionally devastated by an animated film. :(

esteban

Studio Ghibli closing feature film production
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 10:55:13 AM »

It absolutely is! I don't think I've ever been so emotionally devastated by an animated film. :(

Totally.
  |    | 

wildfruit

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 11:57:30 AM »
Grave of the fireflies made me cry I am not ashamed to admit.