Author Topic: Coregrafx controller repair  (Read 205 times)

schweaty

Coregrafx controller repair
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:29:52 AM »
my coregrafx controller has lost pin 6 (no right or II).  i figure replacing the mini 8-din plug is the best fix.  the plug is encased in some sort of epoxy that looks like a chore to get apart.  i would like to just cut it and solder up a new plug, but i cant tell which colors go to which pins (because of the epoxy).  does anyone have a color coded pin out for the pc engine controller?  i cant seem to find a legit looking one on line. 

Desh

Re: Coregrafx controller repair
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:36:25 PM »
May I recommend an alternative to replacing just the connector?  Replace the whole cable and connector with something longer.  I used a $4.00 8-pin serial cable I bought off eBay.  Old Apple computers used this same connector.  You can also buy something branded "PCE controller extension" but if it's not 1st party NEC it's likely just one of these serial cables people gouge on eBay with listing it as a rare controller extension.

You don't necessarily have to reuse the factory connector.  I just hard wired mine in like this.

It still fits neatly inside the controller casing and does not interfere with D-pad function.

The finished product

This will require you checking wire colors of whatever cable you use because they won't be the same as factory.  Also, you don't want to go too long as it will cause problems.  The cable I bought was 6 feet and I cut it down to about 4 feet.  This will, however, give you all the length you've ever desired.

Desh

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »
If you still just want to replace the connector, I would think the color coding should be the same as on the PCE Duo.  If that is the case here is the quick drawing I used for cross reference.

LOOKING DIRECTLY INTO THE MALE CONNECTOR

schweaty

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »
thanks, brother.  already got the replacement connector for $1.  i will definitely think about the other ideas if it happens again.