Author Topic: Turbo Duo - Hu Card games freeze after about 3 minutes  (Read 237 times)

DonAtreides

Turbo Duo - Hu Card games freeze after about 3 minutes
« on: April 29, 2015, 02:06:56 PM »
Hello all! I recently picked up a Turbo Duo and I'm a total newbie in the TG-16 world. The CD-ROM works great amazingly enough, but the Hu Card reader is very finicky and, when I get it to work, it will only work for about 3-10 minutes before it freezes up. I haven't had the problem with CD games, though I haven't played them for extended periods yet.

Any advice?

Thanks,
-D

Keith Courage

Re: Turbo Duo - Hu Card games freeze after about 3 minutes
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 06:13:24 PM »
Might need the card slot cleaned. Try pulling said card out slightly from the system and give it a good play. If the game doesn't freeze then clean the contacts of the card with rubbing alcohol. This in turn should clean out the hu card slot as well.

thesteve

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 07:13:47 PM »
to add to that, it could be a bad card

DonAtreides

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 09:36:22 AM »
Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot to mention: It happens with all cards and I put a coffee filter on a card with a little rubbing alcohol and tried to clean it that way. I think it helped, but it seems odd that it would work then not work if it's just dirty contacts. I don't know, maybe that would cause it.

I don't have a bit to open the TG-16, but if I get one, is it easier to clean the pins from there?

thesteve

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »
all the chips in the system are used during CD play, but a few traces may not be
you could be looking at an open address pin on the slot

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 12:33:17 PM »
The pins are not any easier to clean from the inside. Like thesteve said there could be a cracked solder joint on one of the hu card pins or possibly a bad trace.

I'd honestly rule out that it wasn't just dirty contacts on the cards or the pins in the slot itself first. I've seen games freeze when the slot pins are not clean.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:56:44 PM by Keith Courage »

DonAtreides

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 01:54:49 PM »
I'd honestly rule out that it wasn't just dirty contacts on the cards or the pins in the slot itself first. I've seen games freeze when the slot pins are not clean.

Cool cool. Thanks, I'll do some more cleaning and see if that helps.