Author Topic: Thanks to this community my Duo is better than ever!  (Read 219 times)

IvanBeavkov

Thanks to this community my Duo is better than ever!
« on: April 30, 2015, 04:54:47 AM »
First I want to say thank you to this community. The amount of knowledge here is incredible. I want to especially thank theSteve for figuring so much out, turboken for making and selling the component video and region mod boards, and game-tech for making awesome how to videos.

So now my duo has all new caps, is region modded, and has component video out. So anyway now onto the part you really want the Pics.

Lets start with a before pic, here is a sad duo with leaking caps.

Hi Res Version

Here is a better look at the board. Yep all those caps need to go.

Hi Res Version

Uh Oh tragedy strikes during cap removal! Good thing the trace for that pad is easy to access.

Hi Res Version

New caps installed! All better now :-)

Hi Res Version

Now time for upgrades.

Hi Res Version

All ports in back panel, no more cable sticking out the side!

Hi Res Version

One thing I would do differently is the placement of the audio ports. Where i placed them they hit the RF shield and I had to bend the back part of the shield down to make it fit. There is plenty of room behind the CD drive so I would put them there.

After doing this I have much respect for people who do this for others. It was tough to do but very rewarding. Definitely make sure you have a good soldering iron. I bought a new one just for this project because my old dinky $20 radio shack special was not going to do it. So now I have a good Tenma soldering station, it was pricey on sale but worth every penny.

So anyone else do their own mods want to show them off? Post pics here. My next project is cap replacements for my Turbo Expresses. Once they are done I will post pics here.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Thanks to this community my Duo is better than ever!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 05:06:29 AM »
Congrats on the repair and upgrade, and good luck with the 'Express.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles