Author Topic: Madou Monogatari  (Read 316 times)

runinruder

Madou Monogatari
« on: August 13, 2006, 04:00:33 PM »
I finally beat this game tonight.  What a fantastic (and adorable!) dungeon crawler!  Highly recommended.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Black Tiger

Madou Monogatari
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 05:47:50 PM »
I've always wanted to play it.

Hopefully someday...  :(
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Nutribrain

Madou Monogatari
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 08:22:26 PM »
Glad to hear this. I haven't completed this game myself, but some day I propably will. For anyone who is trying to get through this game, the following faq can be helpful: http://pce.zero-city.com/pce_kouryaku11.html

GUTS

Madou Monogatari
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 06:01:20 PM »
The Saturn version is 100 times better though.

FM-77

Madou Monogatari
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 02:26:09 AM »
The Saturn "version" is an entirely different game too.  :)

I hate Madoh Monogatari 1-2-3 and A-B-C altogether. Horrible games. The SFC game is awesome, though.

GUTS

Madou Monogatari
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 02:21:34 PM »
Oh yeah I know, still the Saturn one totally rules.  I like the one on Megadrive sort of, I think it's pretty much the same as the Turbo CD version if I remember right.  The game gear ones were pretty bad though, I didn't get into those at all.

FM-77

Madou Monogatari
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 01:07:10 AM »
Yep, the MD, PCE, GG and MSX games are the same. 1st person dungeon crawlers. Although MD and PCE only got MM1 while MSX and GG got MM1-3. There's also a Madoh Monogatari A-B-C on PC-8801. That's pretty much the same too. The Saturn and SFC games are the good ones.

GUTS

Madou Monogatari
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 07:57:43 AM »
Guh, I can imagine the MSX versions were bad, every MSX game I've ever tried was awful.  That system just wasn't made for anything other than puzzle games.

On a related note, I tracked down the roms for Exile I and II for MSX and while 1 is totally unplayable, the second one seemed to actually be kind of cool.  I wish someone would translate it, but I doubt that will ever happen.

shubibiman

Madou Monogatari
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 09:37:23 AM »
What MSX games have you played? This is a wonderful piece of hardware.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

kingshriek

Madou Monogatari
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 03:17:21 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Guh, I can imagine the MSX versions were bad, every MSX game I've ever tried was awful.  That system just wasn't made for anything other than puzzle games.

I recommend that you play Space Manbow and Aleste 2 to see what the MSX (well MSX2 to be precise) was really capable of.

GUTS

Madou Monogatari
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 04:12:22 PM »
Do they actual scroll?  Every MSX game I've ever played was herky jerky shit, the only decent game I've played on it was Metal Gear 2.  Was the MSX even capable of doing horizontal or vertical scrolling?

Speaking of old computers, the X68000 is f'n dope, I was playing Geograph Seal the other night and it's awesome as hell.  I wish there were more disk images available for the emulator, I've only been able to find a handful.

kingshriek

Madou Monogatari
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 10:18:58 PM »
Aleste 2 and Space Manbow scroll quite well (along with most MSX2 games), but their scrolling isn't quite as smooth as what is typical for consoles. The very jerky games are usually MSX1 titles, as the MSX1 VDP doesn't do scrolling natively. I believe the MSX2 VDP has some support for scrolling. As for scrolling directions, Space Manbow handles horizontal, vertical, and diagonal. It's probably the most technically accomplished shooter on the platform.