Author Topic: The DEFINITIVE Duo Buyer's Guide Strikes Back! (Part Two)  (Read 342 times)

Keranu

The DEFINITIVE Duo Buyer's Guide Strikes Back! (Part Two)
« on: September 06, 2006, 06:05:14 PM »
Enjoyed the first issue of our Buyer's Guide but felt you needed more? Worry not and behold our whole brand new guide with more ramblings! Not to mention a NEW reviewer as well, welcome GUTS!

BLOOD GEAR
Keranu: ***** Simply the best, better than all the rest.
GUTS: ***** It doesn't get any better on the Turbo, I was erect the entire time.
Ruder: ***** GUTS really needs to play this.
Zig: *** The villain was memorable.

BONK 3
GUTS: ** A big letdown after the classic Revenge.  Where'd the magic go?
Keranu: *** Bonks the charm right out.
Ruder: *** Better than the disappointing Revenge, but doesn't recapture the magic.
Zig: ***** This game brought me untold joy.

DRACULA X
GUTS: ***** Not as good as Bloodlines or SOTN, but still the 3rd best Castlevania game.
Keranu: ***** Marvelous.
Ruder: **** Made obsolete by Chaos Legion.
Zig: ***** Atmospheric, evocative, beautiful, and thrilling -- all wrapped up into one giant Turbo-steak fajita.

EXILE: WICKED PHENOMENON
GUTS: ***** Walking 1 inch from the edge of the screen is gay, otherwise a tru metal warrior's game.
Keranu: *** Infested with bugs.
Ruder: ** True warriors play Xanadu instead.
Exaxxion22: ***** Sadler looks extra-awesome in the cutscenes.

GRADIUS II
GUTS: *archaic, boring, slow, and completely eclipsed by every shooter since.  Worthless.
Keranu: *** Gradius is usually fun.
Ruder: *** Quite overrated.  Get Parodius instead.
Zig: "put 4 stars and "Great controls." for zig for gradius 2"

KAZE KIRI
GUTS: over rated trash for retards *
Keranu: ** Mind blowing controls, but years behind in gameplay.
Ruder: **** It used to be three, but then I remembered how awesome the wall scaling scene is.
Zig: ** It used to be three, but then I realized Kung Fu has a better villain.

KIAIDEN 00
GUTS: *** Too linear even for a shooter, could have use some diagonal or horizontal scrolling.
Keranu: *** Has boobs in the title.
Ruder: *** Takes after Arrow Flash too much.
Zig: **** You move from left to right shooting things, like in other awesome horizontal scrollers.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

malducci

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 06:14:44 PM »
What makes BLOOD GEAR so great? I haven't played much into it -just the first town. The graphics are nice, but the game just seems correct for it's time.

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 06:52:16 PM »
BLOOD GEAR is so great because it's great! :D
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 07:04:08 PM »
Because it has awesome mechs that you upgrade throughout the game and they actually get bigger and cooler looking, it has awesome cut scenes, its linear so its easy to play, and the last whole part of the game is one of the coolest things of all time EVER in a video game.  Those are a few reasons Blood Gear is in the top 10 Turbo games.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 10:23:33 PM »
Screw this thread, I want the Definitive Duo Buuyer's Guide Part 5!

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:10:40 PM »
Time will come :) .

FM-77

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 03:22:03 AM »
I don't get this, who the hell is Ruder and Exxacion or whatever the name was, also why are there two identical threads? There's an "EDIT" button you know!  :roll:

runinruder

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 05:07:50 AM »
Our many fans requested separate installments.  

Exaxxion was a special guest for the Exile 2 review.  I have no idea who the Ruder clown is, but his score for Rondo was way too high.  

As far as Blood Gear goes, I always recommend it to Zelda 2 fans because it's like a much longer Zelda II with mecha and cool weapons to mess around with and lots of robots and massive machines to fight.  The music is cool (although there isn't much of it) and the graphics are nice (especially during the few parts that actually use parallax).  The sign for me that it's a true classic is that it's been a long time since I played through it, but I still remember so many of the different scenes and situations.  Heck, even the overhead scenes had awesome, memorable parts.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

malducci

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 09:53:00 AM »
As far as Blood Gear goes, I always recommend it to Zelda 2 fans because it's like a much longer Zelda II with mecha and cool weapons to mess around with and lots of robots and massive machines to fight. The music is cool (although there isn't much of it) and the graphics are nice (especially during the few parts that actually use parallax). The sign for me that it's a true classic is that it's been a long time since I played through it, but I still remember so many of the different scenes and situations. Heck, even the overhead scenes had awesome, memorable parts.

Zelda 2 for NES is one of my all time favorites. I need to give Blood Gear a good try out.

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 12:02:39 PM »
Indeed, malducci.

ParanoiaDragon

Re: The DEFINITIVE Duo Buyer's Guide Strikes Back! (Part Two
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 06:38:14 PM »
BLOOD GEAR
PD **** Seems like a really good game, but, I haven't played all the way thru it.  Too many damn games to play.

BONK 3
PD **** Great game but way to easy.  Great cd soundtrack for the cd version, including some nice guitar solo's.  Bonk's Revenge remains as the best of the entire series.

DRACULA X
PD ***** Best old school Castlevania ever!  LOVE the music, great gameplay, great graphic style, wonderful!

EXILE: WICKED PHENOMENON
PD **** Great game with great music & some great graphics, especially in the cinemas, but not without it's shortcomings.

GRADIUS II
PD **** Near perfect translation of the arcade classic, but, as with all Gradius games, too hard for my liking.

KAZE KIRI
PD **** Great game with great graphics & music.  Could've used a few more moves OR better level structuring.  Maybe combine this, with Legend of Iga Ninja, & you'd have a perfect ninja game!

KIAIDEN 00
PD *** Good shooter, but, could use a better level structure.

Keranu

Re: The DEFINITIVE Duo Buyer's Guide Strikes Back! (Part Two
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 07:59:59 PM »
Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"

KAZE KIRI
PD **** Great game with great graphics & music.  Could've used a few more moves OR better level structuring.  Maybe combine this, with Legend of Iga Ninja, & you'd have a perfect ninja game!

Could've used more moves :lol: ? Kaze was loaded with a great variety of moves with perfect controls, it just could've been a lot funner with side-scrolling platform level structure, like Ninja Gaiden or Shinobi. Unlike Ninja Gaiden or Shinobi, Kaze Kiri is packed with a fantastic assortment of moves to use :D .

Jammaniaclord

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 05:30:02 AM »
I too was bored with Kaze Kiri. Not as great as the hype. Way too linear i thought, and could have used more characters to break up the monotony. The bosses were all different THANK GOD! Good graphics, do not a good game make, to quote and old EGM editor.
PC Cocoron Hunter

GUTS

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 07:10:20 AM »
Awesome, finally somebody else who agrees that Kaze Kiri sucks.  I've hated that shit game since the day I blew $80 on it after hearing how "AWESOME" it was by everybody.  I decided Kung Fu was more fun since they played exactly the same, but at least in Kung Fu the enemies didn't block every f*cking thing you did.