Author Topic: Another new homebrew puzzle game!!!!  (Read 823 times)

esteban

Another new homebrew puzzle game!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 06:31:44 AM »
Quote from: "Odonadon"
Quote from: "stevek666"
Holy crap! Monster Lair's soundtrack is friggin' amazing. First, as mentioned, it *perfectly* fits the game (the music for each stage complements, even helps *define* the mood for each stage).

Second, even if some songs are pastiches, they have more heart than the muzak you here in a lot of games! Seriously. And since when has VGM ever elevated itself above muzak? Very rarely, my friends, very rarely.

And I don't want to sound like a broken-record, but I still can't believe the almost-universal hatred of the R-Type complete soundtrack. No need to discuss it here, though, since we can resurrect the old threads.

Perhaps I should go on record stating I, too, am a musician.  And it isn't necessarily the melody and tunes of Monster Lair I have a problem with, rather the arrangement and choice of horribly cheap sounding synths.  

I don't know what to tell you guys, I listen to the original Megaman 2 soundtrack every now and then as I consider it brilliant, but it's basically "beeps" and "boops" as it's NES hardware we're talking about here :)  However, I still consider Monster Lair's nice crisp 16-bit CD recording as being much inferior :)

As for R-type, I don't understand the hatred either.  There are a few tunes (stage 3, boss themes) that were done quite well.  I will agree the majority of stage tunes are pretty lame as all they did was remix the original tunes with, again, cheap synths :)

Maybe I have a problem with cheap synths in general, not necessarily Monster Lair :)

Anyway, if I showed my parents (both musicians as well) the soundtrack to Gate of Thunder, then the soundtrack to Monster Lair, there will be laughing :)  It really is pretty bad :)  At leat HuCards have an excuse for having "cheap sounding synths" :)

OD
Megaman 2 soundtrack is one of the best of all time, of all systems, as far as I am concerned :)

Yeah, I should clarify that it isn't the "Red Book" that I like, but the songs and their arrangements that I really like for Monster Lair.

Of course, this is a matter of personal preference and I would never suggest that there will ever be a definitive verdict on Monster Lair's soundtrack.

I just wanted to give some love to the "under-appreciated" soundtracks:
Monster Lair
R-Type Complete CD
Valis II
Vasteel
etc. :)
  |    | 

sunteam_paul

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 02:58:52 AM »
Shame on you for not liking Moster Lair's soundtrack.

Now go to bed without any supper.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Odonadon

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 07:12:03 AM »
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"

:)  I guess we know which episode of PC Engine City I won't be listening to :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Jammaniaclord

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 03:03:27 PM »
Quote from: "Odonadon"
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"

:)  I guess we know which episode of PC Engine City I won't be listening to :)

OD

Whats a "PC Engine" ?

:D  :lol:  :lol:
PC Cocoron Hunter

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 07:00:52 PM »
I actually really like R-type Complete's soundtrack.  It's not the sounds, or style I would've chosen in most songs, but, it's different then the hucard, which is nice, since I have both.  

I'm never going to compare Monster Lair to Gate of Thunder(I believe produced by Nick Wood), but I enjoy both for what they are.  Yeah, Monster Lair's synths are cheap, but, IMHO most Telenet games are much cheaper & cheesier sounding in the synth department.  With some exceptions, like Valis 1 & 2, the Exile's, the Cosmic Fantasy's.  I'm sure there are a few other's.  Even then, there are still songs I enjoy in Last Alert, Psychic Storm, Final Zone 2, etc.  Despite the fact that most of the sounds they use, really irritate me.  I feel like they should've known better.  Frankly, I'd love to redo alot of those soundtracks, & redistribute them.  But, there's not enough time in the world to do that. :roll:

As for Vasteel, it's an amazing soundtrack, but doesn't fit the game.  I haven't really played enough of the 2nd game to see if the music fits it.  Now that I think about it, I feel like alot of those Telenet games, had them using Casio's or Yamaha's(leaning more towards Casio's).  They just have really bad synths.  Not that I'm an expert, but, I just trust Roland.

Odonadon

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2006, 06:57:24 AM »
Totally, the R-Type complete soundtrack is one of my favs.  Personally I think it's killer (there are a couple really crappy tunes, I'll admit :) ).  However I'm not sure if it's my love for R-Type getting in the way :)  For the most part, fans enjoy listening to remixed video game tunes from the days of yor.

But yeah, I have little tolerance for cheap sounding synths (just because it was expensive in 1988 doesn't mean it doesn't sound cheap).  In fact, if I'm listening to something and I discover it's using synthesized Trumpets, for example, and it becomes really obvious I'll no longer like the song :)

I give leeway to video game music, of course, because it's notoriously... much worse than real music :)  But if you're a musician who enjoys a nice melody, video games are full great melodies.  Just not Monster Lair :)

OD

T2KFreeker

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2006, 08:12:20 AM »
Just out of curiosity, do we know if this game is actually going to be released on Hu Card? I tried out the demo and it was outstanding, cool stuff for sure.
END OF LINE.

TR0N

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2006, 02:21:23 PM »
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

T2KFreeker

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2006, 03:02:01 PM »
Quote from: "Tron"
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Was it something that I said? 8-[
END OF LINE.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2006, 04:08:34 PM »
It's not going to be released on Hucard, it'd be way to expensive to do, not to mention difficult.  Not even sure if anyone knows someone who can make Hucards.  I could be wrong ofcoarse.  But, if this game came out officially, it'd be cd.

Odonadon

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 05:13:31 AM »
If a HuCard were made and released today, the sheer cost of having the physical card made would make the price of such a thing astronomical because it won't be mass produced and will have a very limited run.  Check out the new NeoGeo Homebrew game - the cardtridge is selling for 550 euros!  I don't think a HuCard is quite that expensive to make since NEC really wasn't the only company to use that format, but it will still be a lot more expensive than the $60 games of today.

OD

td741

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 05:32:43 AM »
Alternatively, you could always make some sort of SD card (Memory Stick, whatever) -> HuCard connector.  However, CD would probably be the easiest choice.

T2KFreeker

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 09:06:56 AM »
Sorry, I only asked because the demo was in ROM format, not iso, so if it does release, CD? Sounds even better to me. Again, I thought it was a ool little game, so it would be one I would buy, at least.
END OF LINE.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 05:40:56 PM »
A good example is the Jaguar games.  All the newer ones are around $80 more or less.  I've gotten some of them for much less, thru determination on ebay, but, that's a different story for another time.