Author Topic: doujindance mod quality?  (Read 403 times)

Koop

doujindance mod quality?
« on: October 01, 2015, 05:03:39 PM »
I've been looking into doujindance's Duo-R S-video/RGB modded consoles and have been finding some mixed opinions. Some people saying his mods are great, others saying they are sloppy and will even have jailbars.

So what's the consensus? Worth the investment or look to someone else?

HailingTheThings

Re: doujindance mod quality?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 07:20:05 PM »
Get one from someone on this forum, you'll be better off.

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 11:57:54 PM »
I've worked on a number of his modified DUO-R units before and the mod work/soldering job looks good. My only complaint would be all the two part epoxy/gorilla type glue he puts all over his mod wiring making it very difficult to fix any future problems if they were to arise.

Never compared or tested out the RGB quality so I can't comment on that. Most RGB mods have some very faint jail bars on solid colored backgrounds but some do have a little less that others.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 12:51:25 AM »
I only have experience with one Doujin mod'd RX, and the RGB is great. The s-vid has a pink tint, but I do not use that video output so it does not bother me(RGB 4 life). I have not opened it up to look at his soldiering work, so no input there for ya.

If you have a Duo, prolly easier to solicit on the forums for a stateside modder to do your needed work. If you do not have any obey, he could be an one stop solution since Doujin seems to have Duo's listed quite regularly. 
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

GohanX

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 02:08:34 AM »
I used to have one that was done back when he first started. Mod work was decent, I ended up having to resolder some if the wires to the chip since they came off during shipping, which is probably why he uses glue now. Brightness was a bit off, but the ones he makes now look better.

They guy who has that Duo now recently swapped out the amp with one of the more recent community made designs and it looks significantly better.

CGQuarterly

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 06:11:31 AM »
I've had my doujindance-modded Duo-R for several years now and am happy with it.  That being said, you can now buy mod kits that provide you with a pre-built amp, and drop-in replacement AV connector.  So if you are even somewhat experienced with soldering, you can save money by modding a console yourself, and potentially get better video quality in the process.

crazydean

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »
Many modders don't do/know about the jailbar fix. I did mine, myself, and it was really cheap and easy. You just have to solder two capacitors to ground. The fix can be found by searching in the repair/mod section.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

jtucci31

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 01:11:09 PM »
I got my doujindance Duo R from someone on the forums and the rgb doesn't work properly. The S-video didn't either, I just had another port installed for that. I need to get the rgb fixed on it.

CGQuarterly

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 01:35:04 PM »
OOOH, someone screwed the Tooch!

That's bullshit, man.

CGQuarterly

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »
Lol..  screwed the tooch. Nice. :lol:

I thought you'd like that.  :)

GohanX

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »
I got my doujindance Duo R from someone on the forums and the rgb doesn't work properly. The S-video didn't either, I just had another port installed for that. I need to get the rgb fixed on it.
It's probably like mine where the wires came loose during shipping. Would a easy fix but you need some soldering experience for something that small to hold well.

Koop

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 07:42:33 PM »
Appreciate all the feedback guys. For now I've been able to secure a briefcase setup for a reasonable price so I'll be holding off on a Duo-R for a while. I did really want the S-video but maybe I'll just save that for a future endeavor.

wilykat

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »
S-Video is easy.  Composite can be used for chroma, you only need to tap one pin for luma and pipe it through a transistor.  The hardest part is the tiny pin on the video chip, an average Joe can't easily solder it.

Maybe you can find a local electronics whiz and have him/her do the mod?  Usually a good 6-pack beer is all you need to get a friend to do the mod as it's easy, maybe 10 minutes total not counting disassembly and reassembly.

Koop

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 03:52:01 AM »
Are there instructions anywhere for it?