Author Topic: Turbo / PCE CD Audio Test Disc?  (Read 197 times)

retrofixes

Turbo / PCE CD Audio Test Disc?
« on: November 04, 2015, 01:42:05 AM »
Hello Everyone.

I searching for an easier way to test CD audio during capacitor replacements.
Normally I juggle between different games but want a better solution.

Is there a preferred game that plays redbook and adpcm etc in the intro or first few mins of gameplay?

GohanX

Re: Turbo / PCE CD Audio Test Disc?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 02:56:58 AM »
Chop5 told me the other day that Ys 4 is a great test disc. I haven't actually done it yet since I don't have my Duo back together yet.

MNKyDeth

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 03:01:38 AM »
Usually when I am testing a new pickup lens or pot adjustments I use Gate of Thunder, Intro and playing the game. I then play an audio disc that covers most of the disc area.

If all goes well then I test the intro's to about 5 more games to make sure there isn't any skipping. I then play Dungeon Explorer 2 and get through a couple more animation screens within the game itself.
Once I get this far I am usually happy if I did not experience any issues.

It's not scientific but since I do not have an osciliscope (<- spelling) this is the best way for me to verify if there are issues.

turbokon

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:07:44 AM »
I use gate and lords.  Gate as the adpcm in the bonk intro and loading to gate provide a good indicator.  I use lords for fine tuning.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:12:51 PM »
I like using dragon slayer. the game starts using adpcm for speech and then for the drums during the town music. works best for adpcm to have it continue playing when testing.

Also the game swaps between cd audio and adpcm when going into battles.

Ys3 is awesome for lens adjustment. the intro music plays far out at the outer edge of the CD and then the start screen with the music plays all the way on the inside of the CD. this way you can test that all audio reads well at both portions of the CD.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:15:15 PM by Keith Courage »