Author Topic: CD Rom 2 Fitting the Laser in its Shell Proper Good  (Read 315 times)

Slypty

CD Rom 2 Fitting the Laser in its Shell Proper Good
« on: April 10, 2016, 12:41:41 AM »
I'm swapping shells of my Super CD Rom 2, from a crusty yellow one to a nice white one I got lucky on.  The issue is after replacing, I am getting 'please set disk error.'  I know the drive works, so it isn't a very technical problem.

A few questions... when I was disassembling the CD Rom 2, a few round cylindrical type of metal tubes, very very small ones fell out.. and I have no idea where they are from.. as well as a few black washers. 

When I'm mounting the Laser Drive back on to the top Shell, do the Screws that mount the Laser need washers in them?  I'm finding I can't quite get the laser to sit tightly against the plastic, I'd say it has about a millimeter of give and won't press down good and proper.  Is there some unusual technique to fit the laser back in properly so it fist correctly?  I'm pretty sure having that extra space between the laser and the disc is causing the 'please set disk' error..

Ergot_Cholera

Re: CD Rom 2 Fitting the Laser in its Shell Proper Good
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 12:51:38 AM »
The metal cylinders fit inside the the rubber grommets (there should be springs in there too) and then the screws go through them to hold the laser unit in place. The washers fit on a couple of the mounts that the screws are screwed to.

Slypty

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 03:53:49 AM »
Thanks.  I had tried that before but it didn't make any difference.. but there's spring?  Fudge they must have jumped out somewhere.. time to start hunting.

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 06:47:10 AM »
there are springs but the chances of them falling out is extremely rare. They are more or less entwined in the rubber parts that hold the lens assembly and should not just fall out. However, you are going to need those little metal cylinders.

also, you should double-check that you inserted the ribbon cables the right way when putting it back together. Lots of people make the mistake with the larger ribbon cable. It should have its contacts facing outwards away from the center of the CD drive.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:56:15 AM by Keith Courage »

Slypty

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 12:44:29 AM »
Thanks Keith, I will double check that.. and you probably saved me a day of searching my floor aimlessly for springs.

I'll double check the ribbon cable again.  The cylinder tubes though, they don't seem to make any difference when I put them in.  It's like the screws aren't pulling the assembly together because they don't have enough depth to make a difference.  The thinnest part of the screw at the bottom, which goes in to the screw mounts underneath the laser drive assembly just seems too short to make a difference.

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 06:27:51 AM »
they do make a difference though. You might find that it will work fine most of the time but there's some times where you may put a CD in the drive and it may make a scraping noise because it's scraping against part of the housing due to those little metal cylinders not being there.

Slypty

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 08:58:35 AM »
I'll definitely put them in, I suppose they do make a difference, I was just referring to a difference in them pulling the laser assembly closer to the shell, since that is the problem I'm facing.

I'll do a few light adjustments and hopefully she's up and running again.  Thanks for the tips