Author Topic: The Turbografx 16 I bought doesn't seem to be working...  (Read 266 times)

FridaysFullName

The Turbografx 16 I bought doesn't seem to be working...
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:54:50 AM »
Someone on this forum refereed me to this section because I might have a problem with my pad. Does this sound like an issue with a button possibly being stuck because I didn't put the pad back exactly right? My original post is below.

I slide the HuCard in and power the TG16 on the game comes right up. The audio is fine. The game is Sidearms and when I press RUN it goes to the next screen to start the intro but then it jumps back to the title screen. The strange thing is if I press RUN again quickly after the intro is about to start it also goes back to the title screen. I also noticed sometimes when I do that the High Score changes.

Is the game bad or is it the system?

I do have another game coming in the mail today but I won't be able to test it with the system until I get home from work later.

Keith Courage

Re: The Turbografx 16 I bought doesn't seem to be working...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:21:27 AM »
Almost sounds like the select button is stuck in place? Maybe a controller issue or a cracked solder joint on one of the Controller port pins. Easily fixed by just re-flowing some solder on the pins.

Hitting Run and Select together is what's used to restart a game.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:11:18 PM by Keith Courage »

FridaysFullName

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:52:40 AM »
Almost sounds like the select button is stuck in place? Maybe a controller issue or a cracked solder joint on one of the Controller port pins. Easily fixed bu just re-flowing some solder on the pins.

Okay I did not know that. Unfortunately I currently have no way of soldering. I did notice that the board where the button sensors are seemed dirty. Could I take a q-tip with rubbing alcohol and clean the board?

mickcris

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:53:48 AM »
Almost sounds like the select button is stuck in place? Maybe a controller issue or a cracked solder joint on one of the Controller port pins. Easily fixed bu just re-flowing some solder on the pins.

Okay I did not know that. Unfortunately I currently have no way of soldering. I did notice that the board where the button sensors are seemed dirty. Could I take a q-tip with rubbing alcohol and clean the board?

Yeah. Give it a clean and see if it helps.

FridaysFullName

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 01:46:18 AM »
Last night I tried the other game I bought and it worked perfect. It sounds like there is something wrong with Sidearms and I am going to have to return it.

I'm relieved that there isn't anything wrong with the system.