Author Topic: N00b Question  (Read 1175 times)

Chakan

N00b Question
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2006, 11:29:30 AM »
I went with a Duo-R. I would normally prefer a system in better condition, but until my PCE library is bigger, this cheaper deal seems preferable. :)

Keranu

N00b Question
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2006, 05:55:36 PM »
Pretty decent deal you got, Chakan. Good decision to buy a loose system first since you're game library isn't very big.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

N00b Question
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2006, 08:31:12 PM »
Quote from: "malducci"
One very good reason (among others) why the second Contra game on PS2 is utter crap - there's a little talking DOG as one of the main villians! For Contra storyline - that is just the stupidest thing I've seen. The game hit an low point at that moment for me. Little talking dogs don't belong in Contra. Period.

I guess that you've never played Contra Hard Corps.   :lol:

One of the main characters is "Brad Fang" a sun glasses wearing wolf-human hybrid who specializes in close range, hand-to-hand combat and looks like "Poochie" from The Simpsons.

Seriously.

And this is the quality Contra made by Treasure.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

GUTS

N00b Question
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2006, 09:38:42 PM »
Contra Hard Corps smashes the shit out of every other contra game ever made.  Super C is great too, but it's no Hard Corps.  That was back when Treasure actually made good games instead of shit like Gunstar Super Heroes and Stretch Panic.

Chakan

N00b Question
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2006, 02:41:37 AM »
Excuse me, it's Contra: HardASS Corps.

Still love it, though. :)

Chakan

N00b Question
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2006, 01:53:51 AM »
Just a followup before my Duo-R arrives. The seller reminded me that there's a slight difference in Japan and US's voltage. I've done a tiny bit of research and most people seem to disregard this and play their Duo's as is. This seems to lead to a little extra heat, but I haven't read anything concerning major issues.

What do you guys think? Is getting a small converter worthwhile? Will incorrect voltage eventually damage my incoming Duo-R? I know it's possible, but how probable is it?

Does anyone know of a North American power adapter that works with the Duo-R and supplies it with it's exact required voltage?

So far I have the following coming in along with my Duo-R.
Duo Tap
Tennokoe Bank memory card
Ys I & II

The Tap was practically required because I love Bomberman and my fiance adores Street Fighter II. Nabbed the Bank for what seemed like a decent price ($8). I figured I'd just be as prepared as possible. Ys... well, I shouldn't have to make an excuse for it.

Anyone know of a good place to score a couple of Duo pads for a good price? I don't mind used pads, as long as they function properly.

esteban

N00b Question
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2006, 03:23:54 AM »
Quote from: "Chakan"
So far I have the following coming in along with my Duo-R.
Duo Tap
Tennokoe Bank memory card
Ys I & II

The Tap was practically required because I love Bomberman and my fiance adores Street Fighter II. Nabbed the Bank for what seemed like a decent price ($8). I figured I'd just be as prepared as possible. Ys... well, I shouldn't have to make an excuse for it.

Anyone know of a good place to score a couple of Duo pads for a good price? I don't mind used pads, as long as they function properly.
$8 is a good price for the Tennokoe Bank.

tzd.com might not be the cheapest source for pads, but you can get TG-16 pads that have been modified to work with a DUO. All of the components are brand new.

:)
  |    | 

Chakan

N00b Question
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2006, 03:56:53 AM »
Yeah, I'm looking at either waiting for a week or two on an eBay bundle, or ordering a second one from TZD. Of course, I am waiting on word about an Exile & Avenue 6 deal.  :twisted:

As far as the power supply question goes, will getting the following power adapter be a safer bet?

COBY CA-44 UNIVERSAL POWER A/C ADAPTER-1000MA

AlexKidd

N00b Question
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2006, 09:04:18 AM »
Quote from: "takashirose"
My Turbo Duo was the same package from 1992/1993.  Mine was manufactured on January 1993.  It works perfectly for me.  The only thing that happens now and again is that the music for my Lords of Thunder game dies out.  The sound effects work.  The music starts playing after a short while or after resetting the system.  It only happens with that game.  All the other cd-games and hu-cards work perfectly.  Maybe the Lords of Thunder music is too good for it.  ha ha.

I've had almost this same problem, only the game was Gate of Thunder. It only happened maybe twice and only with that game. The sound effects were there but no music. It scared the crap out of me the first time because of all the things i've heard about duo's with sound issues.

However, it's never happened with any other games and hasn't happened with Gate of Thunder in quite awhile. Mine is an American Turbo Duo too by the way.

SignOfZeta

N00b Question
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2006, 10:04:55 AM »
Just a followup before my Duo-R arrives. The seller reminded me that there's a slight difference in Japan and US's voltage. I've done a tiny bit of research and most people seem to disregard this and play their Duo's as is. This seems to lead to a little extra heat, but I haven't read anything concerning major issues.

What do you guys think? Is getting a small converter worthwhile? Will incorrect voltage eventually damage my incoming Duo-R? I know it's possible, but how probable is it?

Does anyone know of a North American power adapter that works with the Duo-R and supplies it with it's exact required voltage?

The power in your average household varies almost as the difference between US, and JP voltages. Japan is 100VAC, and the US is supossed to be 110-115 VAC. If you ever bother to take a meter and measure voltages around the US though you'll find that number is all over the place.

If anything would suffer it would probably be the power supply, and not the Duo itself.

The only system I've seen actually have issues with this was a friend's Japanese PS1. He had to open the door, tape the door button down, and set a fan blowing on it or all sorts of wierd crap would happen with the graphics. The PS1 is probably the most legendarily crappy system build quality-wise though, and this was a day one machine so maybe even that could have been a fluke.

$700 to play Toshinden and Ridge Racer...my word....

Some systems like the Saturn actually have the same power supply in both US, and JP systems. They are either extra durable, or maybe auto switching.

Basically I wouldn't worry about it as long as the PS you are getting is in fact the original, and not some random crap someone threw in. But if you do want the perfect Duo R PS for North America, its Radio Shack's 273-1771. Its 9V 1500mA and non-adujustabe so you can't set it incorrectly. Its kind of pricey, like $27 or something I think, but is absoluetly perfect for Duo Rs. It has the folding prongs, and its even white!

Chakan

N00b Question
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2006, 10:20:14 AM »
I guess I'll just monitor the temp here and there when I get my Duo this week. Thanks for the reply, Zeta.

All of you guys have been really helpful. Wether you like it or not, I'd say you got a new permanent member here.  8)

TR0N

N00b Question
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2006, 01:14:39 PM »
I went with a Duo-R. I would normally prefer a system in better condition, but until my PCE library is bigger, this cheaper deal seems preferable. :)

Congrats i've used dream_stars_japan befor as well... that's how i got my duo-r boxed.

Still if you ever want more out of your, Duo-r such as region mod and s-video etc send it to D-lite.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Chakan

N00b Question
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2006, 07:53:28 AM »
Got my Duo-R today. Great packing from seller. Quite pleased with it. :D

Excuse me while I go play some games. ^^

Keranu

N00b Question
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2006, 04:31:15 PM »
You're very excused.  8)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).