Author Topic: Did I get a decent deal?  (Read 994 times)

gex

Re: Did I get a decent deal?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 10:16:55 AM »
It's hard to compare a gameboy to a TurboExpress lol.

The gameboy had its own library of unique games. The Turbografx was just another to play the awesomeness of NEC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 10:19:11 AM »
$230, capped amd with box is cheaper than you will find on ebay, but that doesnt mean shit.
is it WORTH $230 to you?  thats the question.
the box is useless, so who cares?  paying a premium for a box is dumb.
be patient and you will find one cheaper, possibly with a few games.

gex

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 10:20:26 AM »
$230, capped amd with box is cheaper than you will find on ebay, but that doesnt mean shit.
Perhaps I can find one cheaper online, definitely not wild though :( #canada

jbeedham

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 10:25:15 AM »

Well I guess it depends if he wants the box. To a collector, the box is worth a premium. However, most people buying systems don't care about that. Box or no box, I think it is a good deal. Who knows how long you will have to wait to find another one for the same price or less? You might be waiting a long time...
Turbo Duo serial#33005824A

bob

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »

Well I guess it depends if he wants the box. To a collector, the box is worth a premium. However, most people buying systems don't care about that. Box or no box, I think it is a good deal. Who knows how long you will have to wait to find another one for the same price or less? You might be waiting a long time...

he waited 20+ years so far, he's still alive.

lions3

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »
I spent 180 for one at a local shop last month. Had the tv tuner too. But needed a recap and no box.

gex

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 01:51:47 PM »
I decided not to get it, other deals to be had

seieienbu

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2016, 09:46:45 PM »
There are deals to be had in the world still.  I finally got a Turbo Express within the last year for $140 with one game included.  Still not an unbeatable price but I was pleased as it's easily worth that much for me.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2016, 10:03:16 PM »

Bummer. Sounded like a sweet deal to me.

You could get some good usage out of the tuner kit I think. Get an RCA cable and cut the tip off. Solder a piece of wire to the center lead. Plug the RCA male end into the RF plug on any retro console and attach the other end of the wire to the antenna on the tuner unit.

Boom! Now you can play other game systems on the Turbo Express! 8)

PS - Be careful not to short the antenna wire to ground as some consoles supply a 5V "phantom" supply on the RF pin to power the auto-switches. This 5V "phantom" DC supply may or may not be protected by a shunt resistor so you might want to use caustion. You could also try hooking the console to an old pair of rabbit ears but you're unlikely to get more than a couple feet of reception without an RF amp.

schweaty

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2016, 03:56:40 AM »

You could get some good usage out of the tuner kit I think. Get an RCA cable and cut the tip off. Solder a piece of wire to the center lead. Plug the RCA male end into the RF plug on any retro console and attach the other end of the wire to the antenna on the tuner unit.

PS - Be careful not to short the antenna wire to ground as some consoles supply a 5V "phantom" supply on the RF pin to power the auto-switches. This 5V "phantom" DC supply may or may not be protected by a shunt resistor so you might want to use caustion. You could also try hooking the console to an old pair of rabbit ears but you're unlikely to get more than a couple feet of reception without an RF amp.
First, you know you can just buy a composite to 3.5mm cable, right?

Second, why would you want to play a home console on a tiny first gen lcd screen?

esteban

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2016, 04:08:25 AM »

Second, why would you want to play a home console on a tiny first gen lcd screen?

Because that would be awesome.

Playing Sega CD or PS2 or _________ on the tiny TurboExpress screen is friggin' awesome.

Back in the day, I played VHS through it—just because it was AWESOME.

Fun.
Stuff.
For.
Some.
Of.
Us.

:)
  |    | 

bob

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2016, 05:52:06 AM »

Because that would be awesome.

Playing Sega CD or PS2 or _________ on the tiny TurboExpress screen is friggin' awesome.

Back in the day, I played VHS through it—just because it was AWESOME.

Fun.
Stuff.
For.
Some.
Of.
Us.

:)

i wonder if you could have played action max on it.  even though the red light you stick on the tv would have covered the whole screen.  but on the bright side, you would never miss!

gex

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2016, 05:57:34 AM »

You can play other consoles on the turbo express? Did I just read that right?

schweaty

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2016, 06:35:07 AM »
No... you can use the TE screen.  You would still need the console and it's controller.  This convo is making me feel dumber with every post