Author Topic: Squealy Duo CD Drive...  (Read 395 times)

SavagePencil

Squealy Duo CD Drive...
« on: June 30, 2016, 05:27:48 AM »
The CD drive in my Duo has become a bit squealy since I started playing again recently.  The squeal only occurs when the drive is in motion, and it's now getting loud enough that it's driving my wife crazy.

Is this a pot adjustment, a call for some lubricant, or something else?

SignOfZeta

Re: Squealy Duo CD Drive...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 05:48:03 AM »
My first Turbo Duo did that. Maybe it's not the same exact noise but it sounds like that. It also had minor loading issues.

I took it back to EB and exchanged it for another unit. I imagine that option doesn't exist anymore... :(

SavagePencil

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 06:08:59 AM »
No problems loading (much better than my original Duo, which would do the TICK-TICK-TICK thing about 30% of the time and then fail to load).

Maybe I'll phone up my local EB...

wilykat

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
Does it only squeal with certain disc like a Justin Bieber song? You probably got teenaged girl hiding inside the Duo  :mrgreen:

Does the spindle turn freely? It could be rubbing against the side of something? Or maybe the spindle motor is about to go out?

SavagePencil

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:37:21 AM »
Does it only squeal with certain disc like a Justin Bieber song? You probably got teenaged girl hiding inside the Duo  :mrgreen:

Does the spindle turn freely? It could be rubbing against the side of something? Or maybe the spindle motor is about to go out?

It's all discs.  The spindle appears to turn freely (not feeling it hang on anything), but that's what got me thinking this could be a case of friction, maybe requiring more of the grease.  It doesn't appear to do it more or less when the laser has to travel a long distance, so that's what I'm trying to isolate.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 01:11:33 PM »
I looked at my (then brand new) unit doing this and it was hard to tell where it was coming from. At the time I remember thinking that it sounded mechanical but didn't seem to have any mechanical problems.

Years later when LCD displays really took off some of them would make high pitched singing sounds. A higher frequency and quieter, but the first time I heard this (maybe 2002 or so) I was reminded of my old Duo at once. Maybe it's something like that. I have no idea.

Keith Courage

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 11:11:53 PM »
It's a lens gain issue. Turning down the gain potentiometer slightly should fix it. However, in doing so it may effect the CD lens readability .

atman

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 07:58:24 PM »
Mine Duo does that aswell.
So there is nothing to worry about, maybe other than wearing the laser quickly?
Anyways, Im planning to change the laser. What are the quality on those lasers there is on ebay?
"Original, used items"

Which pot is the laser gain?

Keith Courage

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 08:33:05 PM »
The one directly on the lens itself is the lens gain.

There is a slim chance that the Spindle motor speed could be too high as well but that is extremely unlikely. Can be adjusted with V104 pot on the motherboard.

Also, most DUO CD lenses will sound twice as loud when using CD-R discs. So if this is all you use then the CD lens will almost always be loud. This isn't the case with all DUO systems but it definitely is for most of them.

thesteve

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 09:22:06 PM »
OK the noise is oscillation in the focus or tracking circuit
In most cases it is the laser set too strong (pot on lens assy)
Could be any of the gain pots, but that effects read more
Spindle speed is based on buffer filling, so its neither constant or critical

SavagePencil

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 03:39:24 AM »
It's a lens gain issue. Turning down the gain potentiometer slightly should fix it. However, in doing so it may effect the CD lens readability .
Which pot is the laser gain?

There are a couple of sticky posts, and this page may be a good reference:  http://console5.com/wiki/Turbo_Duo