Author Topic: dungeon master: theron's quest  (Read 542 times)

GUTS

dungeon master: theron's quest
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 05:01:07 PM »
And Dungeon Master was a Wizardry clone, whats your point?  Every game is derivitive of another game, it doesn't change the fact that Eye of the Beholder smokes the living shit out of Dungeon Master.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 05:17:27 PM »
Quote from: "GUTS"
Eye of the Beholder and King's Field absolutely smoke the living shit out of every version of Dungeon Master ever, I don't know what you're talking about.  Anyone who doesn't love Eye of the Beholder and King's Field shouldn't be giving their opinion on dungeon crawlers since they obviously know nothing about them.

I thought I made it clear that I'm not an expert of these kinds of things when I said, "I'm not a huge fan of the genre, obviously. I did like the game though."

Eye of the Beholder came very close to causing me puke. I hated it to death. King's Field is about 5x worse. I despised that boring, slow, clunky-ass terrible looking POS series from the first installment. Pure torture. I'd rather play Bratz for GBA. Seriously. Its total pain incarnate.

FM-77

Re: Word up!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 11:45:46 PM »
Quote from: "turbo_sage"
Hmm, the game looks pretty mediocre judging from screenshots. There must be better dungeon crawlers out there (I'm a dungeon crawler buff!!)

Haha :lol:
If you truly are a Dungeon Crawler Buff then you would have played Dungeon Master!!  And loved it!!

But I don't like first person dungeon crawlers.  :wink:

malducci

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 02:38:45 AM »
Lands of Lore was about the only 3D dungeon crawler I liked and beat. I tried to like DM, but I couldn't get into it. Hell, I got farther in Double Dungeons.

runinruder

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 04:11:51 AM »
I tried to like DM, but I couldn't get into it. Hell, I got farther in Double Dungeons.

Of course.  Double Dungeons is awesome, especially in two-player mode.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
wha?
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 06:48:38 AM »
And Dungeon Master was a Wizardry clone, whats your point?

I kind of hold Wizardry as a different type of RPG.  In Wizardry you get into battles- ala Final Fantasy. and In DM you actually fight them in an Action type setting.

You can't get a mummy to chase you through a hallway only to trick it and smash a door on its head over and over again in wizardry now can you!  LOL

As for the Eye of the Beholder quotes:  Eye of the Beholder was never released on Turbo, so it sucks!!

Damn! This is the TG-16/TE/TurboDuo Board right?   :lol:

TurboSage

Kaminari

Re: Word up!
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »
Quote from: "turbo_sage"
I personally thought it was much better than the SNES version by JVC.

No doubt about it, though it's interesting to note that Victor and JVC (Japan Victor Company) are the same company ;)

Quote from: "Emerald Rocker"
I just thought I'd pop in to mention that the Sega CD version of Eye of the Beholder has AWESOME music.

No wonder -- the tunes were arranged by Yuzo Koshiro.

Black Tiger

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2006, 12:00:39 PM »
TTI sent me Dungeon Master Theron's Quest and a Lords Of Thunder T-Shirt along with a personalized letter as a response to one of the letters I wrote to them back in the day, when I suggested pretty much everything everyone now says they should've and shouldn't have done.

I played through it a few times and I didn't hate it, but wasn't too thrilled by it. I'm not a dungeon crawler fan, but I still didn't appreciate the lackluster port.

According to Retro Gamer magazine, the "Theron's Quest" monicker was slapped on because they cut out a whole chunk of the actual game/quest.

It's worth playing if you like playing a game simply for the fact that it's on Turbografx, but if you're not a hardcore turbo fan and only like trying the the best games that Turbo/PCE has to offer, then don't bother.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum