Author Topic: WTB US (NTSC) TG16 Motherboard and other parts...  (Read 436 times)

kgctim

WTB US (NTSC) TG16 Motherboard and other parts...
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:32:06 AM »
Ive been wanting to find a TG16 for a long time and someone popped up with a big bundle for sale in my area. Against my better judgement I scooped it up without testing it and no surprise, the previous owner sold me a brick. white screen on start up, I assumed the card slot was just dirty. cleaning it did nothing so I pulled it apart and found that SOMEONE tried to pry the motherboard out of the case and broke the board almost completely in half. also broke a lot of the solder joints on the RF shielding. I want to just replace the motherboard instead of hunting all over the local area for a complete replacement.
Also need a power brick for a turbografx CD unit.

I have a power brick from a turbo duo that I would be willing to trade.

If anyone has a couple of spare units with a good board please consider giving me a deal on one. I really want to relive my teen years with my son.

BTW, I'm located in Arizona. Luke Air Force Base.
Please PM me.

Thanks.

Tim

BlueBMW

Re: WTB US (NTSC) TG16 Motherboard and other parts...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
There are people here who can probably repair the board you have.  With as expensive as they are getting now, its worth repairing them.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

780racer

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 10:35:37 AM »
So you need the TG16 itself, or part/all of the CD parts? Just want to understand and clarify exactly what you need.

Also I agree with BlueBMW.

~Ryan
Switchzx's amazing quote -
"I was starting with the hardest to get games first. I realized I was never going to get Magical Chase so gave up on it all, sold up and got out."

Blueraven's quote - "it begins."

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/695/show-collection.html

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:37:13 AM »
Thread moved from PC-FX sales/trades to Turbob sales/trades.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

kgctim

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 11:09:33 AM »
Thanks for moving the thread, i really appreciate it.

I was hoping someone would have a couple of spare "core" units that they had maybe robbed the power port or something from.

The break goes through half of the board and cuts through dozens of traces so repairing it is probably not optimal. if someone wants to attempt it then I would be willing to give them a project, but i would prefer to save it for parts.

I do need the power brick for the TG CD system as the seller gave me the Turbo Duo power brick instead of the OEM power brick. that does me no good obviously LOL
He also gave me a Turbo Duo controller instead of the TG 16 controller.. It was a bundle with some awesome games so i didn't really even consider it, i just scooped it up.

780racer

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 11:45:22 AM »
Thanks for moving the thread, i really appreciate it.

I was hoping someone would have a couple of spare "core" units that they had maybe robbed the power port or something from.

The break goes through half of the board and cuts through dozens of traces so repairing it is probably not optimal. if someone wants to attempt it then I would be willing to give them a project, but i would prefer to save it for parts.

I do need the power brick for the TG CD system as the seller gave me the Turbo Duo power brick instead of the OEM power brick. that does me no good obviously LOL
He also gave me a Turbo Duo controller instead of the TG 16 controller.. It was a bundle with some awesome games so i didn't really even consider it, i just scooped it up.

Ill trade ya a TG16 controller for the DUO controller if its a US model :P

Regarding the Power cord, those are Very hard to come by. There is most likely less than 20 people who have a working TGCD unit on this forum.  We generally suggest the DUO as they are easier to find parts for /ect.

I do understand your dilemma, you could try contacting Chop, who might be able to help ya, Also TheSteve, though I do not know or want to speak for them regarding if they have the time to take on a challenge like this.

I wish I had a spare to sell you, but I would do the controller as I think I have a spare. Ill check tonight.
"I was starting with the hardest to get games first. I realized I was never going to get Magical Chase so gave up on it all, sold up and got out."

ginoscope

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »
These guys make great aftermarket cables I got one for my sega cd and genesis.  They are suppose to have stock in mid November.

http://www.retrogamecave.com/#/shop/4577155957/turbo-grafx-cd-psu/10788761

As far as your TG16 goes I only have one that flickers purple and another that displays in only black and white.

kgctim

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 02:47:17 PM »
All,

This has been extremely helpful, I think i will just hold off and end up buying a Turbo Duo and recapping it/adding a region switch. this sounds like the best route to go.

I will probably just keep the broken system for now for a static display in my collection although I really want to play these games!!! LOL

780racer

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 04:36:47 PM »
All,

This has been extremely helpful, I think i will just hold off and end up buying a Turbo Duo and recapping it/adding a region switch. this sounds like the best route to go.

I will probably just keep the broken system for now for a static display in my collection although I really want to play these games!!! LOL

Buy  the PC Engine version, region mod it, or get a Turbo ever drive. The Turbo Duo US version is more expensive.

blueraven

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 05:03:26 PM »
All,

A few people who can do major repairs frequent here... if you decide to pursue that route we can make recommendations. Two come to mind right now, and I'm sure that they will see this thread :D

I have a working TG16 unit that I put together back in 2008, and I ended up building a power supply for it back then from a generic supply and a new plug... the only problem is that its only got a two foot chord. I still use the power supply in the unit and it has never had any major problems.

I can send you a generic supply for the cost of parts... but that wont fix the cracked board. It will likely need wire bridges to all of the traces which can be tedious work. As BMW said, it's almost worth repairing the busted stuff with the price of things these days.

If you're still struggling with it and they don't respond to this thread we will point you in the right direction. Good luck.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

kgctim

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 05:04:16 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I am going to do some calling around and see if I can find a unit somewhere in Phoenix, I missed one for sale two weeks ago on offer up right down the road for $120, so I'm really bummed about that. I have seen one in a retro game store for just around that price, but I doubt its still there, that was a good 5 months ago LOL.

I am leaning toward this as my starting point, then I may attempt the wire bridging myself after I have a working unit. Mine didn't even come with the correct controller so buying a functioning system for about $100 would be palatable for me at this point.

thesteve

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 07:27:21 PM »
if its the PCB you need i should have stripped boards i could transfer your parts to
dont have the spare supply