Author Topic: Dreamcast Not Spinning Discs  (Read 245 times)

Gypsy

Dreamcast Not Spinning Discs
« on: September 01, 2016, 05:43:08 AM »
I would guess this probably means the laser is dead? I have more so it's not a huge deal but I would like to repair it instead of just tossing it if possible.

tbone3969

Re: Dreamcast Not Spinning Discs
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 06:04:33 AM »
I would guess this probably means the laser is dead? I have more so it's not a huge deal but I would like to repair it instead of just tossing it if possible.

D.O.N.E.

Done.

Trash it.  Laser is fried.  Nothing lasts forever.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Gypsy

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 06:22:12 AM »
After googling around it does seem very difficult (if not impossible) to actually replace a DC laser probably due to GDROM bullshit and that if I replace it I will be able to play cdrs but not retail discs but I'm not super technically inclined so idk exactly.

Edit: It is spinning discs now but it still won't read shit. I've been trying with a sports game that was bought new so the disc is flawless.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 06:24:12 AM by Gypsy »

Gypsy

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 07:37:28 AM »
Took everything apart, cleaned it and left the system on for a bit (this one had not been used in a bit) and it's working now.

BlueBMW

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:17:41 AM »
You mean you gave up the peace and quiet a broken Dreamcast offered you in favor of the wonderful grinding and seeking noises a working unit makes??
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc