Author Topic: PC Engine CD noob needs help  (Read 357 times)

jcmeadows

PC Engine CD noob needs help
« on: August 24, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »
Hey guys, Im new to the PC/T-16 and I had a question. I bought a Core system and the CDROM 2 with IFU over the weekend. I bout the CD unit knowing that it didnt always play CD's. I figured it was the gears or it need a real good cleaning but after getting it today and playing with it the CD will not spin unless I am holding the entire unit vertical. I tried setting it on the back end so the controller port would be on top but it wont spin. Im guessing the motor that spins the CD is bad. But why would it work setting it up like that? Maybe putting enough presser on the motor? I remember the original playstation 1 I had I had to put the system upside down to get it to work at times.

The gears are fine, everything is greased very well so I know that not the problem. How much trouble is it to swap out the motor that spins the CD or is it a full laser swap?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Keith Courage

Re: PC Engine CD noob needs help
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:15:06 PM »
I have rarely ever seen one of these suffer from having a bad motor. Most likely the lens is going bad or the lens needs some adjustment.

Vimtoman

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 11:51:10 PM »
Clean all the gears and transport shafts and re lubricate with a silicone grease.

Take a picture of your CDRoms potentiometers then use my setup as shown in the CD-ROMĀ² calibration thread.
See if it makes a difference.

You would benefit from doing a recap.

Then I guess a Laser change.

jcmeadows

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 02:12:28 AM »
Thank you both for the reply. I had seen a video where they cleaned and greased the thong and it started working again. I will do that first and check out the calibration post. I dont fully understand the whole capping thing and how to tell if it needs it or not. They look really clean and almosf new. I also figered the gears would be in bad shape buy they looked pretty good too. All 3 were grey gears, not the normal white I have seen in other videos which made me think maybe they have been replaced befor.

It was just reall strange that it would work perfectly if I held the cd unit vertical. I guess gravity was helping that way. I will let you know how the greasing turns out. Thanks!

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 07:31:13 AM »
  depending on the type of capacitor it can be very difficult to tell if they are bad from actually looking at them. So there's a good chance some of them are bad without any visual signs.

jcmeadows

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 07:45:03 AM »
  depending on the type of capacitor it can be very difficult to tell if they are bad from actually looking at them. So there's a good chance some of them are bad without any visual signs.

I see. Well we will see how the grease goes. Then tune if that doesnt help. If it still not working right Ill save up some cash and get the capactors and the laser replaced.

jcmeadows

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:25:40 AM »
Clean all the gears and transport shafts and re lubricate with a silicone grease.

Take a picture of your CDRoms potentiometers then use my setup as shown in the CD-ROMĀ² calibration thread.
See if it makes a difference.

You would benefit from doing a recap.

Then I guess a Laser change.

I checked th potentiometers and they are set just like your to the dot. Is that like the factory default?

jcmeadows

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »

So after a good cleaning and greasing the disk will only load setting vertical. But it does sound better. Hardly tell the disk is moving. Sometime after it has run a while I can set it flat and it will load the game but it sounds like the disk is rubbing on something. Not sure if the magnet isnt holding anymore or what.

Keith Courage

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »
What happens if you lift the lid up slightly when the disc is spinning? If the rubbing goes away then the pads that hold the lid up need to be replaced.

jcmeadows

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »
What happens if you lift the lid up slightly when the disc is spinning? If the rubbing goes away then the pads that hold the lid up need to be replaced.

Didn't notice there were pads there. I will tey that. Doesn't seem to do it with every game I try but it could just be a fluke.