Author Topic: Turbografx CD-Rom plays CD's but won't spin up a game.  (Read 188 times)

turbocomppro

Turbografx CD-Rom plays CD's but won't spin up a game.
« on: September 15, 2016, 02:42:19 AM »
I have a Turbografx CD-Rom that I just replaced the middle gear.  After I put the cover back on, I tested it as a stand alone player.  Everything works fine. I can even skip tracks with the button on the CD Player.

I then installed it into the CD-Rom dock and load up my CD-Rom System 2 Ver 3 Hu Card.  When I press Run, it just says "Just a moment..." and the CD doesn't spin up at all.

If I press the Play button on the CD-Rom, the CD starts spinning and plays the music tracks of the game.  I can even skip to different tracks so all the motors and gears and laser seems to be working fine.  It just won't start playing a game...  >_<

I tried reinserting the CD-Rom and the Hu Card into the dock multiple times but same result.

Has anyone else had this problem and a fix for this?

turbocomppro

Re: Turbografx CD-Rom plays CD's but won't spin up a game.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 05:15:34 AM »
Ok I solved the problem.  It took me like 2 hours taking the base apart and figuring out what had gone wrong!

When I took apart nearly everything besides the TG-16 itself, I found that the CD-Rom wasn't making a good connection to the base unit.  It turns out the 2 of the 3 posts for the connector has broken off!  So when I pushed the CD-Rom into the base unit, the connector would move back a little.  It gave the CD-Rom power but nothing else.  I just did a ghetto repair and stuck some hard foam I had into the gap.  This keeps the connector from moving back when I insert the CD-Rom.  Tested working fine now!  yay!  I've added a picture of the foam I stuffed inside.  Hope this helps someone.