Author Topic: CD-ROM2 behavior  (Read 281 times)

atman

CD-ROM2 behavior
« on: September 10, 2016, 07:12:20 AM »
I have a question regarding the CD-ROM2, also the CD ROM on the Duo.

Is there any sort of "shake" resume function on these drives?
My experience is that if I gently tap the CD-drive while in operation it skips, and music disapper.

And it may glitch out or the music goes mute util the game says it should change track.

Also when playing CD-audio, it needs "next" for resume the music.

Is this a correct behavior, or is something wrong?

Guess gen 1 CD drives are not so "smart"?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 07:16:41 AM by atman »

blueraven

Re: CD-ROM2
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 07:23:24 AM »
This was at a time when "Anti-Skip" technology was a thing of the future. The CDROM2 drives are VERY sensitive. I mean, shit this was 1990. When I lived next to the train tracks, I would lose the audio in Gate Of Thunder when the Union Pacific would go by every evening... and until the game advanced the music to the next track (like for example, beating a level), the sound effects would remain, and the audio would be gone.

It got slightly better in the Duo models (1992), and the Duo-R (1993-4) had cushioning and a one-piece CDROM reader that sits on 3 posts absorb shock to further improve audio playback.

Unless I'm missing something this is totally normal. CDROM2's look space-age but aren't even on par with a mid-90's Discman.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

atman

Re: CD-ROM2 behavior
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 07:37:19 AM »
Thanks for the fast reply, that was my guess, just wanted it confirmed.

Sold of a spare unit and the customer and he thought it was very sensitive.

Chrom_

Re: CD-ROM2 behavior
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:59:57 AM »
The CdRom2 has no anti skip Technology, but once it skips, it should be able to recover the track and the approssimative position. If that does not work for you, it may be due to weak laser (due to wear or aging capacitors) and/or non perfect tuning (could be fixable by potentiometer adjusting)