Author Topic: Leaking ram chip???  (Read 575 times)

Chrom_

Leaking ram chip???
« on: September 15, 2016, 09:30:18 PM »
Hi All,

I'm working on a quite ruined Turbografx16 PAL board that doesn't work. At the moment, before performing advanced tests, I decided to refurbish the board to eliminate all evident problems. The board has been cleaned, one chip with broken legs (mechanical fault made by someone playing with the board) restored, full recap. The board is looking much better now but there are still 5 corroded traces (see pic https://postimg.org/image/txxpo2a5f/ ). I'll fix the traces but I was wondering where the corrosion came from, as there are no caps in that area. Looking better I noticed that the corrosion happens right under the HuCards bus RAM chip (HSRM2264LM-10), that actually also has a suspecting looking leg (see picture, https://postimg.org/image/65oecj84j/).

My questions for you guys:
-          Can a RAM chip leak and corrode the traces? It never happened to me before
-          I'll have to desolder the RAM and restore any issues under it, but in the case the chip is faulty I would like to buy a replacement. I'm not able to find any replacement (checked Aliexpress, ebay). Any idea on where to find one?

Any idea or suggestion is very welcome

Thanks!

Trenton_net

Re: Leaking ram chip???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 03:34:39 AM »
Given that it appears quite evident that someone before you tried to open the console and fiddle with it (unskillfully), I'd sooner assume they were the ones who somehow caused the problem. I've never heard of RAM chips leaking anything like that, so I would assume a 3rd party did it.

mickcris

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 03:56:30 AM »
Ram chips are a solid state device. there is nothing in them that would leak out.

since that is right under the cart slot, i would assume somebody spilled some liquid in there at some point.  it probably was not a good idea to bend it up like that.  also, is there something still in the cart slot.  from about the 9th pin from the left to about 14 look different than the rest.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:12:38 AM by mickcris »

Chrom_

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 07:06:22 AM »
TG16 back to life. I've rewired the corroded traces, fixed the CPU that had physical damages to some pins, fully recapped the unit. Cool!!

Lost Monkey

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 08:45:40 AM »
TG16 back to life. I've rewired the corroded traces, fixed the CPU that had physical damages to some pins, fully recapped the unit. Cool!!

An all-niter!

Ergot_Cholera

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 12:20:13 AM »
If you need a replacement HSRM2264LM10 it will be just SRM2264LM10 (without the H).

Chrom_

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 12:33:05 AM »
If you need a replacement HSRM2264LM10 it will be just SRM2264LM10 (without the H).

Fortunately the chip is good, so I don't need any replacement, though thanks for the useful info. Could be handy for the future

Fidde_se

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 07:52:27 AM »
Moist in the air will make the corrosion, especially on copper with no tin or green coating, same goes for normal iron.
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM