Author Topic: Magical Chase Turbo VS PCE  (Read 554 times)

torgo

Magical Chase Turbo VS PCE
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 03:22:39 AM »
Wow! I never bothered with the US version since I own the PCE version, but I never knew that they changed the game that much. Awesome job!
PS Nation

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 07:10:56 PM »
It's really interesting when games have major changes when they come to the US.  The biggest overhaul I've seen for no reason whatsoever was Magical Hat Flying Turbo Adventure for the Mega Drive.  It was developed by Vic Tokai along with Kid Kool (NES) and Psycho Fox (SMS).  By the time it got to the US, it was Decapattack starring Chuck D. Head.  Everything was changed except the layout and design of the stages... most of them anyway.  The graphics were changed completely (but the potions had the same basic graphical effects such as dual screen line scrolling, etc), the gameplay was completely changed to allow for a life meter of sorts,  and even the music was changed.  I personally like Decapattack starring Chuck D. Head better than Magical Hat Flying Turbo Adventure, but I have a love both games!

Tatsujin

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 07:26:58 PM »
and whats about super mario Bros. 2 and doki doki panic?  :wink:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Keranu

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 07:32:29 PM »
I didn't know Decapattack Staring Chuch D. Head was a completely different game in Japan. That's awesome, I'm gonna have to download the Japanese one now.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

vestcoat

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »
I recently got the Bonk 3 turbochip and noticed some distinct differences between it and the PCE version I had been playing.  The biggest change is what happens when you get the meat for the first time.  In the PCE version you turn into a cute baby-girl Bonk that shoots hearts.  On the US turbochip Bonk turns into a pissed-off looking monk that shoots stars.
I guess gender ambiguity among video game mascots just doesn’t fly here in the states.  Perhaps it could lead our youngsters astray…
Anyone else notice this?  Is it the same with the first two games in the series?
On a related subject, what does Air Zonk shoot when he merges with the cow sidekick in the US version?  I only have the PCE Hucard and in that Zonk fires utters/boobs.  I wouldn’t be surprised if they US changed that too (remember the farts/spray paint in JJ and Jeff?).

Tatsujin

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 08:13:11 PM »
Quote from: "vestcoat"
(remember the farts/spray paint in JJ and Jeff?).

oh yes. that was just awkward :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^