Author Topic: Wish I knew how to read Japanese.  (Read 905 times)

esadajr

Re: Wish I knew how to read Japanese.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 09:37:15 AM »
Google translate...it works...kinda
Never thought of doing that. Yuna here I come!

I'd say that's about on par with period translations of TG-16 games.
Lol! You're right
Gaming since 1985

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 10:57:17 AM »
I learned most of the Japanese I know from playing the Super Robot Wars series, originally for SFC, years before the games were genuinely good.

Over the years I've learned some more of the language and I've played translated SRW games, official and fan, some games I've cleared in more than one language.

What I've learned is...I know this is hard to envision, but the shit seriously isn't worth reading. Sure, Final Fantasy XV? Sure, you'll have no way to play it otherwise. But SRW is a simple strategy game with hundreds more pages of terrible dialogue added every sequel. I fell in love with the series when I was skipping through the dialogue, when there was hardly any of it. (I think the GB one has no dialogue, can't remember, been a long time). Now that I can read it I choose not too. It's terrible. Only makes the game worse.

Yuna? All that goes double for Yuna. All she says is "wow", "cool", "attack!", "that's really cool." "Yikes!" and "is her chest bigger than mine?" It's completely infantile. I'm not judging the game, I own three different Yuna games, bought them new even, I love Mika Akitaka and this game is his completely.

I'm just saying that...your imagination is probably running wild when playing this game and I support letting it run further. Make up your own dialogue. It'll be better. Maybe try to sync it up with Dark Side of the Moon.

If you don't believe me, go download some random mobile game in a language you know. Something as purile and vapid as Yuna, like a game based on deer hunting of Barbie dolls or killing arabs. Now play it. How's that dialogue? Fun? No. it's shit. Just like Yuna. Just enjoy the cool designs and the whatserface's squeeky voice. That's what it's really about in the first place.

Magister

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 06:48:27 AM »
As much as I would like to know how to read JP for the sake of playing games.  If I was going to learn how to speak and read any language it would have to be Spanish.  Many times I was at the laundry mat where people were speaking Spanish and it would have been nice to know what the hell they were saying.
This Space For Rent.

esteban

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 07:43:22 AM »
As much as I would like to know how to read JP for the sake of playing games.  If I was going to learn how to speak and read any language it would have to be Spanish.  Many times I was at the laundry mat where people were speaking Spanish and it would have been nice to know what the hell they were saying.

There are tons of great films/songs/novels I would love to read/experience in Spanish... I have a very rudimentary understanding and I would love to build on it.
  |    | 

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 03:00:46 PM »
just like any other language, gotta start small, learn at your own pace and stay consistent at it and you'll get there! im pretty happy how far ive gotten, i can read katakana and hiragana pretty well and remember quite a bit of kanji. i can speak a little bit and know some phrases. just takes practice and time

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 02:07:59 AM »
Yeah, I wouldn't expect to get through a RPG with google translate but a game with a menu and shops it works good enough to figure out if you are buying a sword or a potion etc
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 07:44:26 AM »
I mean, if you have time to dick off on a forum, and play games, you have time to learn a language.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 08:14:05 AM »
Time isn't really the issue.  I'm just too dumb.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 09:17:43 AM »
Time isn't really the issue.  I'm just too dumb.

I've seen some pretty massive gimpdicks managing Japanese.  you'd probably be OK.

lol
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
Don't underestimate my 'tard level!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles