Author Topic: What parts do you remove before washing a board in the dishwasher?  (Read 242 times)

schweaty

Gents,

Just a little poll here.  I think some folks remove caps and voltage regulators.  Some only remove caps.  I dont know if anyone doesnt remove anything.  Anyway, I'm fixing a Super CDROM with zero sound and I was thinking of doing this for the first time.  I have never really had to in the past, but someone did a really shitty job of having a go at it before me, so I want to set myself up for success as much as possible. 

-dan

MNKyDeth

Re: What parts do you remove before washing a board in the dishwasher?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:22:48 AM »
I am pretty sure TheSteve said it's ok to wash with the caps as they are sealed.

However remove everything you want to remove as the less stuff that is there the less material will be left on the board hidden under the edge of caps etc.

I don't wash them as I don't have a dishwasher. I just soak my boards in rubbing alcohol and use a toothbrush and q-tips.

beepinghazel

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 03:12:37 AM »
Don't run it through the dishwasher and don't use rubbing alcohol.

Take it to the sink, use a toothbrush and dish soap and get every nook and cranny. Rinse the board until it's clean, then blow-dry it for a good while until it's completely dry.

Isopropyl alcohol can interact with the fluid leaked from caps and make things worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thesteve

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »
i pull the bios if its socketed
anything im replacing comes off before wash

MobiusStripTech

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 11:34:51 PM »
I have honestly never washed a board in the dishwasher. What settings do you use/cleaning solutions?
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech