Author Topic: night of old school gameplay  (Read 331 times)

DELETED

night of old school gameplay
« on: September 28, 2006, 11:58:57 AM »
DELETED

Tatsujin

Re: night of old school gameplay
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »
Quote from: "infinitepower999"
i play with myself.

hehe..sounds funny too :P

btw: welcome aboard :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Keranu

DELETED
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 03:32:16 PM »
Great story! 8)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

grahf

DELETED
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 04:01:32 PM »
I think all of us tried leaving the console on overnight at one point or another.  :D

vestcoat

DELETED
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 04:13:55 PM »
Yeah, good story.  Kids today don't have to leave their systems on overnight because everything has save features and battery back-up.  In the early 8bit NES days there were only a few battery save games (Zelda 1-2, DW1, Ultima 1, probably a couple more.  Other than that, it was all passwords--if you were lucky.
I was "home schooled" for much of my youth and whenever my mom left the house on mid-day errands I would play NES games.  I had the TV next to the window and would dive to shut off the TV (no remote) the moment I saw her pulling into the driveway....i would then have to suffer though the rest of the day until 3 o'clock when I was allowed to play video games.  The system was often left on for 3 hours at a time during those afternoons.  I did have some success convincing her that Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego on SMS was "educational" and OK during school hours.

Odonadon

DELETED
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 05:25:21 PM »
LOL, those are great stories!  Kids today are spoiled by the save feature, however how long did it REALLY take you to finish Parasol Stars? :)  A few hours total?  For most gamers savegames weren't really needed back then.  Today games are too crazy, complicated, and dynamic you almost can't play one at all without saving.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

grahf

DELETED
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 06:12:27 PM »
I know this isnt really related but..
The reasons you stated Odonadon, are why i find myself really starting to enjoy shooters this last year or so. I just dont have time anymore to play super time consuming games, but i can have a 30 minute blast on a shooter and still have fun. AND feel like i accomplished something.

Keranu

DELETED
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 07:30:35 PM »
Awesome story, vestcoat :D . I'd always be like that too when I would stay home from school because I was "sick".
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

extrarice

DELETED
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 10:22:44 AM »
Quote from: "grahf"
I know this isnt really related but..
The reasons you stated Odonadon, are why i find myself really starting to enjoy shooters this last year or so. I just dont have time anymore to play super time consuming games, but i can have a 30 minute blast on a shooter and still have fun. AND feel like i accomplished something.

Exactly. My favorite way to unwind after a long day is to plug in a shooter on OMGHARD mode and see how long I can last. (yeah, that's relaxing to me  :lol: )

Black Tiger

DELETED
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 03:35:16 PM »
I used to equip my party with Coma Darts from the gorillas and Gold Staffs from the Oasis shop in the desert in Dragon Slayer, use the whistle or whatever to make extra enemies, elastic band a rolling die on the 'positive' Turbopad button with the turbo switch on and leave the game on evernight to go up 10 - 20 levels.

I'd wake up the next morning, see what levels I made it to, save and then get ready for school.

The only thing that sucked about it (other than if you consider it cheating), is that you have to set the leveling to auto and you don't get to custom make your characters into identical powerhouses.

Of course, I only started doing this occasionally after playing through the game like 20 times(literally) and to see if I could actually make it work (like my Dragon's Curse and Shapeshifter game breakers).

The game has some kind of invisible luck limit that you eventually reach at one point and instant death weapons stop working. But not before you can set the game up to automatically go up 50 levels.

I remember spending a lot of time at my mother's house one week that my younger brother was renting Shining Force. One afternoon, he woke up on the couch after playing the game all night and immediately in one motion sat up, hit the power on, picked up the control and lied back down to continue playing. He stayed on the couch for a few more days, only getting up for quick food and bathroom breaks.

The coolest part, is I'm pretty sure that he was skipping school the whole time.  :D

Over the years, I've found myself, my brother, my girlfriend and another friend do the exact same thing during multi-day gaming sprees. Each time the exact same way: eyes open, sit up to console or TV power on + controller pick-up and straight back down.

What a bunch of losers huh?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

DELETED
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 03:45:02 PM »
Haha, Black_Tiger's story rules. I also remember you telling me in a PM that you would strap a rubber band on your controller to constantly level up in Ys III over night while you went to sleep. Good stuff.

Black Tiger

DELETED
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 10:06:20 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
Haha, Black_Tiger's story rules. I also remember you telling me in a PM that you would strap a rubber band on your controller to constantly level up in Ys III over night while you went to sleep. Good stuff.

Yeah, you can do that in several spots in Ys III, but I usually only ever did it in one of the caves on the snowy mountain.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum