Author Topic: PCE Duo disc keeps spinning  (Read 412 times)

vougbour

PCE Duo disc keeps spinning
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:40:25 PM »
Hello

looking for some assistance/advice from anyone :) regarding an issue with a PCE DUO PWA-3285-A

This console had the typical bad capacitors, and one had caused alot of damage to the traces near the LED around c135 top and bottom of the motherboard.  I managed to repair the traces, and now the system turns on and i can play HU card games no problems.

The problem is that the disc keeps spinning, and even goes when the lid is open or closed with or without a disk.   

I have replaced most of the capacitors, have not replaced the ones near the voltage regulators and the AV jack and headphone jack.

can provide photos if necessary :)

Keith Courage

Re: PCE Duo disc keeps spinning
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:50:08 PM »
Do you still get a CD bios screen when no hu card is inserted? I recently came across this problem on a DUO where the Discs would constantly spin and also got no CD bios screen. The lack of the bios screen was a bad 7805 voltage regulator. Constant CD spinning turned out to be bad caps and connections for the two 47UF caps right by the CD loading light.

vougbour

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:54:29 PM »
hey mate thanks for the info :)

yes i get the bios screen. have to say i yelled out a very loud F yes after i got the system to show something :)

i have replaced the caps near the LED, however i will double check them as there was quite alot of damage near the LED.

thanks will let you know how i get on.

NichlasEk

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »
I know im new to the forum but il have a try anyway.
Check the big via near the crystal below the led. That did the trick for me with one of my duos.

Best regards
Nichlas

vougbour

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:28:42 AM »
Really appreciate the replies fellas.

checked and i had replaced the 47uf capacitors near the LED, also checked they had continuity to the correct areas.

i went ahead and changed the rest of the capacitors, still same issues :(

Thanks Nick,

I will check out the crystal tomorrow :)  will let you know how i get on.

cheers

mal

mickcris

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 01:32:34 AM »
Nick is probably correct.  Usually a via is bad and won't have continuity between the top and bottom of the pcb
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:34:05 AM by mickcris »

vougbour

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 02:14:38 AM »
am yet to check the vias for continuity top to bottom.  however another observation the IC sony cxd1167q gets quite hot, there also is damage very close by from the leaked capacitor.

my thoughts are to take the sony chip off, and inspect for damage.

NichlasEk

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 02:28:14 AM »
I would think that chip gets hot cause its not gettin the "shutoff"/disable signal its suposed to get from the top to bottom connection on that Via. Is it clicking like a relay turning on and off or is it just spinnig very fast the whole time?

vougbour

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 02:32:09 AM »
thanks nick

now sometimes the spindle clicks on and off and the laser goes all the way to the edge.  the others times the spindle just runs constantly.

will take a closer look at the via's

thanks mate

thesteve

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 07:19:29 PM »
nick is right as to 1 issue you are having
you are losing power to the CXA1082
the CXD1167 should not be getting hot, so it may be bad as well