Author Topic: Problems with TG16 CD system  (Read 275 times)

kgctim

Problems with TG16 CD system
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:20:41 PM »
I bought a system that was supposed to be in working condition. it was far from it. I posted here months ago about who the mother board had been split more than halfway across most of the traces, anyway. Ive since picked up two working TG16 systems and now I want to get the CD add-on working. I took it apart to inspect the middle gear and its very discolored, but looks ok (I still want to replace it, CALM DOWN!)
When I cleaned the spindle or whatever the brass colored thing is that spins to make the laser travel, I noticed that the laser system slides to and from very easily.. like NO resistance at all. when I watch videos on youtube of people repairing them, I notice that they make a clicking noise as it travels across those threads. mine never did.....EVER. I think the white plastic piece circled in this picture is broken and I was wondering if anyone has Any idea where I can source one. I honestly think this is a huge reason why mines not working (duh..)
You can see theres a noticeable gap. I haven't taken it apart to see if I can adjust it. I was hoping someone on here had some scrap ones that they could look at, or maybe sell me one??

Thank you for any ideas you might have!

Keith Courage

Re: Problems with TG16 CD system
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 04:25:26 PM »
The white plastic parts broke off of the clip that holds the lens on it's track. There is no place to source this part except for buying another complete used Turbo CD or pc engine CD drive.

However, there is a makeshift repair posted here that will hopefully work for you. http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=21054.msg459511#msg459511

Also, you might need to re-bend down the piece that is left that is screwed down in the center of that plastic part.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 01:53:51 PM by Keith Courage »

kgctim

Re: Problems with TG16 CD system
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 11:12:05 PM »
Thats a genius solution! thank you so much for the link. I thought I was probably the only person who had such a busted ass CD Rom unit!