Author Topic: PCE CDROM2 problems  (Read 381 times)

gtsamour

PCE CDROM2 problems
« on: June 04, 2017, 03:53:05 AM »
I repaired a totally broken white cdrom2 unit in the past.
The repair included a total recap, e gear replacement and finally a lens replacement of the KSS-220A.

The unit was working OK until yesterday that i decided to have the case whitened with retrobright.
So I carefully removed all the parts from inside and bleached the plastics (up and down case, plastic buttons and lid).

After I carefully put everything back together, the unit behaves strangely...

although most of the times it seems to be working OK (data reads OK and at excellent loading times) sometimes when you put a cd (copy) in the laser seems to struggle back and forth. Turning the system off and then on doesn't help.
Only if I remove the disc and apply some pressure on the cd deck (under the lid) the drive reads OK again.
Also sometimes the disk doesn't spin, the lens moves initially but doesn't spin the disk. Again, if I apply pressure on the part with the lens (not on the lens) inside the lid, the drive works again.

I've taken apart the unit lots of times to figure what could be causing this but I can't find anything.

What the heck could have caused this.... just because I removed the plastics and put everything back together....

Could it be that the pots need adjusting? The system was working OK, why now... is there a guide for the pot adjustment?
Could it be bad laser lens? Its brand new, and when the unit works both audio and data are excellent.

Any help is much appreciated guys?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 03:55:24 AM by gtsamour »

Keith Courage

Re: PCE CDROM2 problems
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:53:17 PM »
Does the power on the drive always come on when you press run? Just wondering if the lid close detection switch was maybe put back in at an angle or something.

gtsamour

Re: PCE CDROM2 problems
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:23:22 AM »
Does the power on the drive always come on when you press run? Just wondering if the lid close detection switch was maybe put back in at an angle or something.

Yes Keith it does, I know the lid switch thing and I'm paying great attention when putting it to place with tweezers.

Can a new KSS-220A go bad just like that? Any good source for getting a new one?

Now it also skips audio (hiccups).... maybe I need to adjust the pots but never done that before, I marked the original setting of the pots both by taking a picture an also by making a red line on each one so I can bring the pot to its original spot if i align the line.

Any clues?