Author Topic: Recapped turboduo drops game music randomly  (Read 281 times)

MobiusStripTech

Recapped turboduo drops game music randomly
« on: June 06, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
Ive got a turboduo that has been recapped and has no issues with hucards. With cds it will play music cds without any issues, cd-r plays fine, and legit games play fine. The only issue is that occasionally the music will drop out but sound effects continue. Once a load happens again the audio returns. This system had lots of issues so there may just be something else that needs replaced. Any thoughts are appreciated.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Keith Courage

Re: Recapped turboduo drops game music randomly
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 05:58:33 PM »
Sounds like it just needs some lens adjustment. Does audio also drop during use of real CDs? CDrs are more prone to this issue.

Also, these drive have no skip protection whatsoever so the slightest bump can cause audio drops.

MobiusStripTech

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
Hey KC. Yeah the audio drops with real CDs as well. This system was totally messed up when I got it so I have been trying to get it back to good. The time I don't see music issues, is with audio CDs. Any guesses on which pots to check? I was thinking it might be the error correction or spindle speed, but i may be wrong. Really need to get a scope for these.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Keith Courage

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 09:20:48 PM »
Well before adjusting any pots I'd actually make sure the CD lens moves freely on the lens rails. Lots of times the grease can dry up making the lens stick when moving back and forth which then makes the audio drop.

A good game to test this with is y3 since the intro music is far out near the end of the CD and then the start screen music plays on the inner portion of the CD. If the first intro music track drops off try turning the V101 pot to the left slightly.

If both audio tracks drop then I'd try adjusting the V102 pot to the left slightly.

You typically don't have to move these far at all when making adjustments. Just remember where they were to start with in case you have to set them back.

I neither of the two pot adjustments help then turning up the actually gain pot slightly on the lens itself may fix it.