Author Topic: Game of the Month: July 2023 - Cosmic Fantasy 2  (Read 669 times)

geise

Game of the Month: July 2023 - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« on: July 02, 2023, 04:36:52 PM »
COSMIC FANTASY 2

It's summer and I finally have some time. Time to start an RPG. Cosmic Fantasy 2! Been almost a year since I finished CF1. CF2 I haven't completed in ages. I have been wanting to go through it again. I remember the encounter rate being stupid on this one, but that's par for the course on a lot of these rpg's on the turbob. So, grab your marooga nuts and get to playing some CF2!

Mathius

Re: Game of the Month: July 2023 - Cosmic Fantasy 2
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 02:45:21 PM »
I'm playing through CF2 as well. This one I've never gotten far in due to the aforementioned encounter rate. That coupled with the maze-filled caves laden with numerous dead ends makes for a harrowing experience. It's all too bad too because I rather like the game. The VA, colorful cinemas, corny Working Designs dialog, and fast combat all should've made this game a favorite among Turbo-heads. Plus the status ailments were glitched making for a far less stressful experience. If they just would've fixed the "mazes for longevity's sake" and the encounter rate. It has some good redbook tunes too but the ER keeps interrupting forcing the tune to restart. I bet the person doing the music for the game just loved hearing the news that buyers of the game wouldn't hear more than ten seconds of any given track lol.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

geise

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 09:35:52 PM »
Dude! The encounter rate is just insane. It didn't bother me that much back in the day. I have a hard time with it now. I did make my way to Galam's Castle. That's where I am so just about done. I knew I wasn't going to get it finished in July.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 02:39:52 AM »
I couldn't put down Sinistron, so I got a late start on CF2; and then I was out of town for a week, so I'm not done yet either.  I'm getting close, though, and will press through to the end.

I really enjoy the game's tunes, cut scenes, and story.  The encounter rate is annoying, sure, but at least it speeds up grinding for monies and exp.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 11:48:15 AM »
I couldn't put down Sinistron, so I got a late start on CF2; and then I was out of town for a week, so I'm not done yet either.  I'm getting close, though, and will press through to the end.

I really enjoy the game's tunes, cut scenes, and story.  The encounter rate is annoying, sure, but at least it speeds up grinding for monies and exp.

You know that kind of is a good point. Some games do have crazy amounts of grinding needed, and I always remember CF2 only needing a fair amount of grinding. I also love all of the story, cutscenes, and music!  Such a classic.  I hope we get CF1, and CF3 at some point translated.. or I get off my butt and am able to read moon runes soon...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 02:24:15 AM »
I finished it up tonight.  I really like the story overall, but the demise of Laura is a real gut punch.  Sorry, Van, but no happy ending for you... unless you can score a happy ending from Babbette, Annie, or Clea.  Mourning Wood, amirite?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

geise

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 10:34:01 PM »
I finsihed early August. Was nice to finally finish it. I did enjoy the game again but screw that encounter rate. Is it just as bad in the japanese version? I'm going to say yes since I remember the first CF1 being pretty bad as well.

Naniyue

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 07:35:40 PM »
Weird but true story:

I bought this when it was new.  When I opened up the box, I found the disc covered in dust, as if it had lain in the open for a decade!  I blew the dust off, and the disc was fine.  NEVER had this happen before or since!

Also, play Cosmic Fantasy 4  Chapter 2 if you are a fan of Van and the gang!!