Author Topic: a quiet time for Turbografx?  (Read 274 times)

vestcoat

a quiet time for Turbografx?
« on: December 27, 2006, 12:01:07 PM »
Did anyone else notice the recent "slow season" for NEC games and consoles on ebay?  Many items sold for far less than usual in the last couple months.  During november/december I saw domestic copies of Magical Chase and Dynastic hero both go for less than $200, Godzilla bottomed out at $40, Cotton at $50 and I picked up Beyond Shadowgate for $100.  I saw a used US Duo with games and accessories go for less than $200.  On the 26th, only 2 pages of regular auctions came up when I searched for "pc engine" video games.
Whatever caused this fluke seems to have ended.  Many new items were posted today and the copy of Cotton I had my eye is already nearing $80.
My theory is that bidding went down on our beloved, ancient, NEC consoles because the scumbag collectors were franticly spending all their money on Wii's and PS3's.  Less items were posted because of people being busy around Christmas.
Let this be a lesson:  Buy your out-of-print games when the next generation of consoles are released!

Any other thoughts or stories about this?

Michael Helgeson

Re: a quiet time for Turbografx?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:13:55 PM »
No your pretty much right. Real sellers of the stuff tend to pull back during xmas because it sells less when other items are released getting the cash. They recoup during tax return time in the USA. Usually during xmas season the buyers of stuff like Pc Engine and Turbo are broke from xmas shopping and new systems.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 02:09:23 PM »
I think most (all?) of that stuff is massivly over valued. I'd like to think people were, you know, getting their shit together and waking up. I mean, why would Godzilla fetch more than $40? It sucks.

It was probably just Christmas though. People can't carry on paying assloads of money for shelf sitters when they are buying computers, and DVDs, and Lexus, and whatever other stuff people buy for other people at Christmas time.

TR0N

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 03:45:24 PM »
Did anyone else notice the recent "slow season" for NEC games and consoles on ebay?  Many items sold for far less than usual in the last couple months.  During november/december I saw domestic copies of Magical Chase and Dynastic hero both go for less than $200, Godzilla bottomed out at $40, Cotton at $50 and I picked up Beyond Shadowgate for $100.  I saw a used US Duo with games and accessories go for less than $200.  On the 26th, only 2 pages of regular auctions came up when I searched for "pc engine" video games.
Whatever caused this fluke seems to have ended.  Many new items were posted today and the copy of Cotton I had my eye is already nearing $80.
My theory is that bidding went down on our beloved, ancient, NEC consoles because the scumbag collectors were franticly spending all their money on Wii's and PS3's.  Less items were posted because of people being busy around Christmas.
Let this be a lesson:  Buy your out-of-print games when the next generation of consoles are released!

Any other thoughts or stories about this?
Sounds about right to me.

I've been checking ebay myself for TG16&PCE goods as of late.

Some prices for games haven't hit a all time high at all.

Then again i didn't buy any thing this month for my duo-r, since xmas shopping made me broke.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

muse hunter

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 01:52:26 AM »
you have to take into consideration that with the release of the Wii and ps3 as well as the increased interest in the 360.  Retrogames would naturally attract less interest as most gamers are are focused on the new consoles, its probably the worse time to sell retro consoles and games

Tatsujin

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 03:54:10 AM »
I mean, why would Godzilla fetch more than $40? It sucks.
may be because even in akiba you have to pay 4000yen for a mint copy.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 08:38:29 AM »
I mean, why would Godzilla fetch more than $40? It sucks.
may be because even in akiba you have to pay 4000yen for a mint copy.

Well, call me logical or whatever but I don't consider a game worth $40 just because some other dumb-ass is willing to pay $40. Its worth $40 if its good.

In other words I will never own Circus Lido at any price. I do not buy crap.