Author Topic: Can I Save Dungeon Explorer on a Turbo Booster Plus?  (Read 371 times)

agranger5

Can I Save Dungeon Explorer on a Turbo Booster Plus?
« on: January 19, 2007, 11:27:03 AM »
I see the password feature on Dungeon Explorer, but I can't figure out how to save a game on my Booster Plus.

Also, how do access Save Banks on the Booster Plus without a game in the T16.  Is there any way to do this so that I can erase old saves?

Sorry for all of my Noob questions, but you guys are the gurus when it comes to all things Turbo or PC engine!

nat

Re: Can I Save Dungeon Explorer on a Turbo Booster Plus?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:48:10 AM »
Dungeon Exporer doesn't support "real" saved games. Only password continues. Dungeon Explorer II, on the other hand, supports both passwords AND "real" saved game files.

As far as I know, the only way to do what you seek as far as erasing unused files is with the "Tennokoe Bank" HuCard. Maybe there is another way, but I don't know of it. The Tennokoe Bank is a save file "manager" of sorts that allows you to manipulate the files stored on your console. You can copy, erase, etc. You can also move files to the Bank itself so you can free up space on the internal memory while preserving whatever information they contain. You can then copy them back at a later date.

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 01:25:19 PM »
The original Dungeon Explorer doesn't support save files.

Some games, mainly CDs, allow you to manage your save files.

Since you're talking Turbo, you should pick up a copy of Order of the Griffon. Besides being an amazing Turbchip game, it allows you to see the size of your save files and delete the ones you don't want. The only catch to accessing this feature is that you need to save a file or two until there isn't enough space left for another OOTG save file.

The Tennokoe Bank is a PC Engine HuCard. Since you're talking Turbo, don't bother with one until you get a PC Engine Duo(or equivalent) system. Even if you could use it, all it does is save, swap or delete entire 'banks' at a time, not individual save files.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 01:55:20 PM »
Since I have a converter, I guess I take it for granted that it's a PCE card and not a Turbo card. :)

But are you SURE it doesn't let you manipulate the files themselves? I know I've done it before. Maybe I'm thinking of the System cards. On at least the System 3 card you can access a hidden menu that lets you fiddle with stuff. Maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

termis

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 04:21:19 PM »
Since I have a converter, I guess I take it for granted that it's a PCE card and not a Turbo card. :)

But are you SURE it doesn't let you manipulate the files themselves? I know I've done it before. Maybe I'm thinking of the System cards. On at least the System 3 card you can access a hidden menu that lets you fiddle with stuff. Maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

Got one, and I WISH you could copy & delete individual files back & forth.  BT is correct - you can only move around entire banks.  If there's a hidden menu that allows you to do that - oh please, please, share.

As far as the system 3 card goes, there's only one "bank", so you can either delete, and um... that's it.  There's no where to move/copy the other data to.  If you're talking about that, it would just be pressing "select" at the main menu screen (and that's any system card).

nodtveidt

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 09:35:53 PM »
This brings up an interesting scenario...you know, there SHOULD have been a card developed to handle the memory in the TB+. Perhaps the techheads here could develop one?

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 11:26:50 AM »
This brings up an interesting scenario...you know, there SHOULD have been a card developed to handle the memory in the TB+. Perhaps the techheads here could develop one?

A rom would be good enough for me since I could run it off my flash card.  :)

guyjin

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 01:52:19 PM »
Hell, the TB+ should have been able to do that itself. I don't know why NEC didn't let devices on the expansion port boot the system.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

ccovell

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 02:00:15 PM »
Hi, sorry to register just to plug my programs, but I did make a BRAM editor ROM for the PCE that lets you backup/delete/edit BRAM files.  It might be useful to you if you have a flashcard.

URL here: http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/creations.html

guyjin

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 02:21:29 PM »
neat stuff, but how do you get it on a hucard? you have an explanation of how to get solar wars on a cartridge, but not how to get anything on a hucard... :cry:
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »
Hi, sorry to register just to plug my programs, but I did make a BRAM editor ROM for the PCE that lets you backup/delete/edit BRAM files.  It might be useful to you if you have a flashcard.

URL here: http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/creations.html

Thanks a lot. I don't know how I missed that. Maybe I saw it and thought that it was for editing saves on a computer or something...  :oops:

neat stuff, but how do you get it on a hucard? you have an explanation of how to get solar wars on a cartridge, but not how to get anything on a hucard... :cry:

Just buy a flash card, like the one Tototek sells and flash it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:29:25 PM by Black_Tiger »